1992 tercel a/c trouble shooting

From the reciepts, it looks like they replaced some of the parts on the

system, and it has not been converted. Worked great, and then one day, a horrible grinding noise, best described as a fan hitting something, occured. But, the a/c was still good. Fast forward, one day the light on the a/c switch did not light up, and no cold air. Dropped the glove box, checked the fuse, and it looks good. I did notice a few other inside the engine bay (large fuses, maybe a toyota part only?). Any help would be great!

John

ps- this car was hardly driven by the old owners. 60k miles in it when bought! Now at 64k

Reply to
phil11

Did the grinding noise come from the dashboard area or from under the hood?

Is the drive belt for the AC compressor still in place?

AC systems benefit from occasional use because the seals and compressor stay lubricated. If you apply 12 volts to the compressor clutch, does it engage?

Reply to
Ray O

look for ac oil leaking out the front of the ac compressor.had this same problem with a car (not toyota) and the same noise. oil was leaking out making the belt slip and making this sort of noise. had to get a new seal for the front of the compressor plus a refill. was like 150.00 but was many years ago.

Reply to
Dave Dave

I believe it came from the engine area. I can tell you that the blower motor still works, as I used it on cool mornings, and the heat works as well. There was actual black material that blew out of the defroster vents. It left some on the dash. I guess that could have been belt material. I did a quick visual, and I see two belts. Am I missing a belt?

\thanks

Reply to
phil11

It is highly unlikely that any belt material can get in to the defroster ductwork. More likely, a rodent tore up some foam from under the dashboard or that is used to seal the joints in the ductwork and made a nest. If the nest or rodent was in the blower when you turned it on, then the rodent is history but its remains may smell a little.

I am not sure how many belts are under the hood for your car. Take a look at the air conditioner compressor and see if there is a belt on the pulley.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks all. I must say, this car is not as fun as working on the 04 Cobra! I agree, it was something, lucky for me, no rodent, no smell. Will look again at the belts

Reply to
phil11