’91 camry alternator problem

?91 camry problem. We just replaced the alternator on my sons camry a few days ago and now the car is dying out again. The old one tested bad at the local checker auto and now the new one is doing the same thing. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this problem?

Reply to
krav01

Take the replacement alternator back to Checker Auto and have it tested. If it is bad, exchange it for a good one. You might want to check the replacement's replacement while you're at the store to see if it is good. If the first replacement is good, have the battery checked and make sure all the connections to the battery and alternator are good.

Reply to
Ray O

I've had to use a chain "auto beauty supply" like Kragen/Checker for an alternator two or three times out of necessity (because that was all that was available when it died) and I haven't gotten a working alternator on the first try yet.

(They aren't a real auto parts store, they're just corporate retail outlets that sell pre-packaged stuff like spinner hubcaps and slip-on seatcovers. Real parts stores can actually answer questions, has exactly what you need on the shelf or can order and get it tomorrow, and usually has a machine shop in the back.)

The QA on their "rebuilt" alternators is abysmal - their factory doesn't rebuild them as much as just clean them up, fix the first problem they find and call them Fixed. Toss 'em in a box and ship 'em. Alternators are not difficult to fix if the technician has two or more brain cells to rub together...

One time it took the fourth alternator swap out in the parking lot, last one on the shelf, before I got one that worked, and #3 faked me out and worked for 5 minutes and three blocks - needless to say, that crap gets old REAL fast.

When I am close to home and have a choice in the matter, I grab the bad alternator and go straight to a good local rebuilder's shop, and they hand me one back that works the first time - what a concept. ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman