battery light and emergency brake light coming on and off

Hey everyone.. I have a 1989 toyota corolla. The battery light and emergency brake light coming on and off together.. as of late on all the time. They sometimes go off but usually at higher speeds which is wierd. Battery levels are fine. Had the cd deck cut out on me a couple times while driving.. left it off for a while and waited and then it worked again . Does this mean for sure its the alternator not charging or what? i did have a 800 watt amp and 12inch sub running right off the batt but unplugged that too see if maybe it was just draining too much.. no dice. Anyways some insight would be nice. Thanks in advance for some advice.

Reply to
timmah

First, how old is the battery? Have it tested somewhere you trust.

My guess is the alternator. Both lights coming on like that mena the charge circuit is compromised somewhere. On two of the cars this happend to me with, they both needed new alternator brushes. One had Solder-in type, and one had Screw terminal type. You can get them at the dealer, the hardware store, or parts stores. If you like the car, don't use the hardware store type. They work, but don't last too long.

Remove the alternator from the car and unbolt it. It will come apart. Ask Bruce (or was it BGM) how to put it together...there's a trick I didn't know about 3 years ago and have forgotten already!

Also, may want to replace the bearings at the same time. Brushes are $6-18 depending where you get them, and bearings are $15-22. It's pretty straightforward.

Of course, you could buy a rebuilt one, but DON'T get the cheapest one you can...I only like doing a job once every 5-10 years...not every 5-10 days...

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

================== Most likely alternator brushes worn. Try replacing brushes and holder as a set from the dealer for under $20. Should be part number 27370-35060, or similar for your year.

Reply to
nospampls2002

Well thanks for the advice. Im going to test the battery tommorow with a volt meter though the levels in it seem full. The batt came with the car but it looks quite new. Have found a used one for 45$ with a 3 month warranty too replace this alt if its the problem..better then messin around with the brushes and all that jazz...will let ya know what the prob is when i do.. thanks

"nospampls2002" wrote: > timmah wrote: > >The battery light and > > emergency brake light coming on and off together > ================== > Most likely alternator brushes worn. > Try replacing brushes and holder as a set from the dealer for > under > $20. > Should be part number 27370-35060, or similar for your year.

Reply to
timmah

You'll probably see 12V. My Mom's Camry lit the lights, blew the horn, but would not start. It has to have current, too. Bring it to someplace like AutoZone and test it. Better test than a voltmeter.

And a battery with only 8 volts will start a car if there's enough current.

Reply to
Hachiroku

well it must be the alternator.. deck died on the way home from school today along with the headlights and wipers

"nospampls2002" wrote: > timmah wrote: > >The battery light and > > emergency brake light coming on and off together > ================== > Most likely alternator brushes worn. > Try replacing brushes and holder as a set from the dealer for > under > $20. > Should be part number 27370-35060, or similar for your year.

Reply to
timmah

To do it right you need to upgrade your cars electrical/charging system for the extra load of that high power audio system.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Definitely alternator related, my celica did the same when its diode pack blew. 800W amp shouldnt be an issue though, fairly limited load.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I run two or three amps in my cars with no ill effects. No special "DNL's, no capacitors, etc etc. I suppose if you have a 1000W amp running 3 12" subs a cap might provide some holdup, but I just go for clean sound, not to annoy the neighbors...too much! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I wonder what the actual load is from say a 1000W audio system at low volume?

I bet its still 1 hp or so. hmmm

Reply to
Danny G.

1HP = 746 watts. If a 1000W system was drawing 746 watts at low volume, it would be drawing 54 amps at 13.8V. Highly unlikely.
Reply to
SMS

Agreed, the only time youre amp will draw 1000W is during a long full deep bass note which is fairly rare and short duration by nature, unless you drive round with it on at a LOUD volume for long periods with a dicky alternator I suspect you'll never have a problem with a good battery/alt.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Have your battery, and alt load tested. As for the brake light have your fluids checked. IMHO, you should have already been in a shop, rather than posting. Brakes are important. :D

tom @

Tom The Great