Battery Light and Brake Light Flickering Intermittently

Folks,

I've got a 96 Maxima with almost 90K miles on it. It's in great shape, by and large, but I've had a little problem lately I can't figure out.

Occasionally, particularly at lower speeds (in slow traffic, f'rinstance, or at speeds under 35 MPH), the battery light AND the brake light will flicker on, fade in & out, and eventually flicker off (generally as speed increases). Putting the car in neutral at a light and slowly increasing the RPM doesn't seem to have any effect.

I've already checked the stuff that was easy to check, i.e., visual inspection of the battery connections (looked good... and the battery is only about a year old) and visual inspection of the belts (looked okay to me, too, but couldn't get my hand down in there to check the tension). Can't really check the alternator/regulator situation out myself.

I guess the big conundrum here is why the battery and brake light would both come on at the same time. If it was one or the other, it would make more sense, and I'd have an idea where to look, but this confuses me. And they're definitely in sync: they flicker on at the same time, flicker off at the same time, and fade in and out simultaneously. I'm beginning to think it's a warning light conspiracy.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
SomeOldDude

When both the battery and the brake light flicker, it is the alternator over/under charging. When was the last time you changed your belts? They may be slipping causing the alternator to undercharge. It could also just be a bum alternator. Have it checked out and replace it if its gone south. If you ignore the problem, you'll probably be reducing the life of your battery or at worst, toasting a few electronics if its an overcharge situation.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I had exactly the same problem. I let it be and after a month or so, it went away. It was exactly the same with my VW Scirroco. The brushes in the alternator were not making good contact all the time. After they wore down some, everything was fine.

Check the charge voltage though just to be sure, should be 14VDC or slightly above.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

SomeOldDude; I just joined the group and I don't have a solution for your problem.....BUT...I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 94 Maxima. If you have found a solution by now I would sure appreciate you telling me what it is. I don't know if you noticed but when it's dark and while the brake/battery lights are on the headlights go dimmer than normall. I'm afraid to drive it until I fix it.

Reply to
Stovebolt

When the battery + brake light's flicker, that is a bad alternator.

Nick

problem.....BUT...I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 94 Maxima. If you have found a solution by now I would sure appreciate you telling me what it is. I don't know if you noticed but when it's dark and while the brake/battery lights are on the headlights go dimmer than normall. I'm afraid to drive it until I fix it.

Reply to
Nick

I agree, ALT probably bad, battery weak. New ALT, new battery, good to go............

problem.....BUT...I have EXACTLY the same problem with my 94 Maxima. If you have found a solution by now I would sure appreciate you telling me what it is. I don't know if you noticed but when it's dark and while the brake/battery lights are on the headlights go dimmer than normall. I'm afraid to drive it until I fix it.

Reply to
Jim H