Fabricating a Filler Neck

I had no luck finding a fuel filler neck for my '88 Supra. The dealer suggested a radiatior shop. Anyone have any ideas how to make one of these that will interface properly with the tank?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Any muffler shop that bends tubing can do it if you can give them a sample or get the vehicle there. Whether they WILL is another question but usually yes.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Thanks.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Local junkyards, perhaps?

Reply to
badgolferman

On 13 Mar 2006 17:48:23 -0800, "Bret Ludwig" wrote: (Bret deleted the part about the rusting out gas filler neck)

If the 'top filler neck & gas-cap fitting' end and the 'connects to the tank' end are in good shape, a muffler shop, sheetmetal shop or blacksmith can always bend a new piece of mild steel tubing to go between the two fittings and weld it all together.

(Welded on the shop bench far from the car's gasoline tank, of course. But since there are people who would try fixing it on the car, and that won't work I figured I'd better clarify.)

Or if the damage is not severe (I can't see it) you could cut out the rusted section with a hacksaw, deburr the ends of the tubing, and insert a piece of Gates Green Stripe straight fuel filler hose. They make it in 1/8" steps for smaller sizes and 1/4" steps up to something like 4" ID - just cut a chunk and use good worm-drive hose clamps. It will bend, but in a very large radius only.

If there are multiple rust-outs and tight curves, you can have them bend a new center section of tubing with the curves and use two stubs of fuel filler hose to assemble it back into one unit. No welding needed.

It gets trickier if you need a special fitting to go into a gasket on the tank, and that fitting end has rusted away.

The gas cap end of the filler neck is interchangeable between brands and models, anything that will fit and work - as long as the pressure and vacuum relief settings of the cap match what the car computer expects. Otherwise it can set off the Check Engine light over emissions system pressures.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Check with TCB

- well known and used in the UK by us celica owners. J

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Let's see if I can do this: It's right where the tube meets the flange that connects to the tank: | | | | | |Rust is at this junction ________| |________ | | _________________________

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh . Worst possible place.

Is this one of those setups where the tube and flange are all one piece, and there's a gasket and screws holding it to the tank?

You may have to fab a new flange with two or three inches of straight tube on it, make it look exactly like your ASCII picture.

Or find a filler neck from another car with the same flange, even if the tube is bent different - because the rest of the tubing doesn't matter, you're chopping it off to get a good tank flange.

Chop your existing filler neck to match, get a chunk of Green Stripe filler hose and four clamps, and have fun.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman