lamp failure sensor

Threaded View

My license plate bulb went out on my Avalon..........I replaced it, but
the idiot light on the dash still lights whenever I put the car in
gear.

How do I find the sensor in the trunk?  What color is it.....?  I want
to pull it out and reset it.

HELP!

Re: lamp failure sensor

The lights out sensor for a '97 Avalon is in the trunk on the left wall
(from the perspective of standing behind the car looking forward) between
the trunk trim and sheet metal so you will have to remove the interior side
trim to get at the sensor.  You did not mention what year Avalon you have,
but the sensor is likely to be in the same place.  The sensor does not need
to be reset when you change bulbs.

The two most likely reasons that the warning light on the dash is still
illuminated is that there is another bulb burnt out or the incorrect
replacement bulb was used.

Before going through the trouble of getting at the sensor, re-check both
license plate bulbs, and all of the rear lights, including tail lights,
brake lights, turn signal bulbs, backup light bulbs, and center high mounted
stop lamp bulb.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: lamp failure sensor

the bulbs are "working" ... but if one (or more) of the bulbs is "on
its last legs" (discolored), that can be the cause. I'd advise
replacing ALL the bulbs (including the high mounted center brake light)
... relatively cheap fix to avoid future frustrations with the warning
light!

Re: lamp failure sensor

I believe that the lamp warning sensor works by detecting an open circuit
and is not capable of detecting whether a bulb is on its "last legs."  The
OP probably has another bulb burnt out or a problem with wiring.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Re: lamp failure sensor

I had that problem and it traced back to shorts in the wiring harness in the
vicinity of the left trunk lid hinge. Once those shorts were corrected, the
indicators shut off.

Re: lamp failure sensor

Same here, however, the wires were not broken or shorted, some of the
strands were broken.
The electronic sensor is grounded through the various bulb filaments
and will detect differences in resistance short (no pun intended) of an
entirely open or shorted circuit.

Site Timeline