Sienna bow/stern tie downs for kayaks/canoes

I'll be transporting a kayak on a 2007 Sienna. It has factory roof rack and cross bars, and for the life of me, I cannot find a place under the car, front or rear, for a tie down.

For the front, some suggested making a webbing under the hood off to the side, but I don't really see any convenient bolt.

For the rear, all I see is a metal loop that's almost direct behind the wheel. It is too far forward and off to the side, I don't think it is the right place for a tie down. If I used it, the stern tie down wouldn't even go over the bumper at all, and would be sliding over the rear fender. It'd also be pulling the boat sideways, and I wonder if that'd be safer than not using it at all.

I'm set on using bow & stern tie downs, even if it means using a different car (old and not reliable, however) or not bringing the kayak on the long trip.

Any Sienner owner out there that found a good way to use bow/stern tie downs?

Also... what's with siennaclub.org, I keep getting "IPS error"??

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
fastgreen2000

If you have a trailer hitch, use the cross member to attach to. Look in your owner's manual in the "in case of emergency" section for information on towing the Sienna. It should point out attachment points for a tow strap, which you can use for tie-downs. One of my fellow climbing instructors uses

1" tubular climbing spec webbing to attach his canoe to his Ford van. Climbing webbing is something like 35 cents a foot and has a 2,000 pound breaking strength, available at REI or other specialty shops. Get 4 pieces of webbing about 3' long each and tie a loop in each end using a climber's water knot. To tie a loop in the end of a piece of webbing, fold a 3 or 4 inch section of the end flat over itself so it is doubled, and then tie an overhand knot with both pieces. Someone at the climbing supply store should be able to show you if you have any questions. With a loop at each end, wrap the piece around a strong cross member under the car, pass the long end through the loop to make a girth hitch, and then attach whatever cord or webbing you are using to tie down the kayak to the loop at the other end of the webbing. Try to protect the paint wherever the webbing or rope contacts it, and make sure it is tight so that it doesn't flutter and damage the paint.
Reply to
Ray O

Howdy,

Will you be using a kayak rack? If so, I'd suggest that the b&s ties are not necessary.

If not, I would strongly suggest that you not tie the kayak on the existing rack bars "deck down."

Kayak hulls are far stronger than are the decks and to tie 'em "deck down" is to risk real damage.

'Good luck with it in any case,

Reply to
Kenneth

I wouldn't put one on a roof without a rack unless you had a set of the styro "bumpers" that you attach to the sides of the boat. Well, unless you don't mind roof and paint damage. We have a set of those, and they work pretty well. They just clip to the sides of the canoe. I guess you could do away with the for/aft ropes if you had super strong support on the side mounts. But normally, the for/aft ropes help keep it from flipping sideways from the wind. We've had cases where there was nothing to tie the foward rope to without the rope rubbing against rubber bumper, grille etc... In that case I think we ran a rope to something under the hood, and closed the hood on the rope..Of course, the rope was small enough to fit ok without hurting the hood. I always prefer to mount them deck down. Seems more aerodynamic, and less wind problems than with an open top. One of my trucks has a big camper that is good for hauling canoes/kayaks.. Has rope tie downs on the roof of the camper. But..I'm probably going to sell that truck pretty soon.. :( My other truck has a camper too, but no tie downs yet.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Hi - I don't think I was clear - I do have a Thule Glide-and-Set rack, and using bow/stern tie-downs is a must for me, not an option, even with a rack system.

Reply to
fastgreen2000

I think bow/stern tie downs provide more than just keeping the boat from flipping and sliding sideways - in case of a strap (or cam) failure, it keeps the boat from becoming an obstacle course for cars behind you. But, I'm not here to advocate the use of tie downs, just want to know what points I can use on the Sienna. I agree that deck down is more aerodynamic, but deck up is more aesthetic. :)

Reply to
fastgreen2000

I don't have a trailer hitch. Just looked under the car again - there is practically nothing on the rear. Under the hood, I see some bolts that I can use for tying down the webbing (yes, I'm familiar with webbing loop), but even then the bolts are so far in, the loop has to be fairly long. I use pipe insulation to protect the paint, yes.

At this point, I guess I'm looking for a Sienna owner who has gone through the experience.

Thank you in any case...

Reply to
fastgreen2000

Why don't you go to your local kayak dealer and ask them what they recommend.

My '92 Corolla wagon has 4 tie down loops hooked to the frame, front and back. I use Yakima racks.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

For any long trip, front and rear tie downs really are a necessary safety feature.

As I said in another post, why not drop by your local kayak dealer and ask them.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I would not use anything under the hood for a tie-down point because I would worry about deforming the hood.

Good luck on your info quest!

Reply to
Ray O

I probably wouldn't if the car was pretty new or real nice.. Also, the one we did it on was a 77 Olds 98, back in the 80's. Had a pretty stout hood, and the owner didn't seem to care. We never had any trouble. But the metal on most newer cars is not quite as thick. Also the many of todays hoods don't clamp down in the fashion those did. Of it they do, it's often on top of the plastic grille, or whatever. I'm so picky about dents, paint on the corolla, I wouldn't haul anything on it, tied down or not... I'd rent a boat, if I didn't want to take my truck.. :/ MK

Reply to
nm5k

At least for me, the tie downs are not what hold down the boat. If they are tight enough to deform the plastic bumpers, they're tight enough to deform the plastic boats. I just keep them snug, and use straps to hold down the boat tight.

Thanks for your posts, I'll keep looking.

to deform the boat or the car, even plastic bumpers. The

Reply to
fastgreen2000

Kayak dealers have not been very helpful, and they don't know each car as well as the owners do.

I looked again, the front has definite potentials under the hood. The rear doesn't look easy. Maybe something inside the hatch...

The rope will have to be wrapped in pipe insulation to prevent damage to the paint.

Once I have it figure out, I'll let you all know. In the meantime, I'd still appreciate the info.

Reply to
fastgreen2000