Toyota Highlander versus Lexus Rx models

My wife's best friend says that one of her relatives, who works at a auto repair center, told her that the Toyota Highlander is the exact same car as one fo the Lexus Rx models (I can't remember whether she said 330, 350 or 400) but just more expensive.

Obviously, they're not the exact same car, but how close to the truth is this statement? I know that the Highlander shares the same powertrain as the Rx350 but only some of the chassis is shared between the two. I have to believe that many of the internal accoutrements in the Lexus are superior to their counterparts in the Highlander.

NL

Reply to
The alMIGHTY N

The Lexus RX is more expensive than the Highlander. While they share the same chassis platform, they are far from being the "exact same car." Among the differences: body panels, interior, sound insulation, springs, bushings, struts, powertrain ECU, transmission, tires, security system

Reply to
Ray O

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

By Saying Chassis, do we mean just the frame? Or the frame and engine?

Reply to
tonytony24

Actually, "platform" would be a more accurate term than "chassis." I've read that the Lexus RX, Highlander, Sienna, Camry, Solara, Lexus ES, and Avalon are based on the same platform. All use a monocoque, or unibody construction instead of the body-on-frame construction used on trucks and older vehicles. "Chassis" refers to the floor pan, firewall, and suspension mounting points on a unibody vehicle, and would be analogous to a frame. The chassis on the Highlander and Lexus RX will be very similar, as will the engine and drivetrain.

In simple terms, if you think of the body as the skin of a vehicle, they will be very similar under the skin. The biggest differences will be in the springs, struts, amount of sound insulation, steering rack, tire/wheel size, rubber isolators and engine mounts, transmission, seats, interior trim, and accessories, and glass.

Reply to
Ray O