Toyota Highlander

My sister has a Toyota Highlander and has lost two of the three keys she had to it. The dealership told her that they can not give her replacement keys, and that if she loses the last one, they will have to tow the car to the dealership and work their magic, to the tune of about $1000.

Sounds a little spooky to me.

Does anyone here have experience with this Toyota system? Does the computer forbid copies after three?? Or is this mushroom food?

Reply to
HLS

Mushroom food. Any good locksmith can do new security keys for a couple hundred bucks, unless Toyota has gone to some completely flakey off-the-wall system. Modern keys are absurdly overpriced, but that dealer is simply gouging.

Reply to
aemeijers

When I got my new F350 that has the transponder keys I immediately bought two more at the dealer, they cut them, I programmed them and they were all of $8 each.

Reply to
Pete C.

On most brands, you can do that if you have two other keys. On the 05 Caravan I bought last summer, it came with one key (the other got lost somewhere in title chain, probably by a lienholder that didn't forward their copy when lien cleared.) Plus, it was one of those damn oversize keys with all the buttons. I asked local Chrysler dealer who did their key work (in small towns, they often don't do their own), and went over there. Dealer gave me the magic number out of Chrysler master computer, and locksmith made them in about an hour while I watched. I think it was $120 for 2 no-button keys, mainly for the expert labor and use of his prom burner. I keep meaning to get some blanks off ebay and get a couple more cut, that I can program myself, closer to the $8 price you mentioned.

Only downside of not carrying that absurd oversize key (that makes keyring too big to fit in my pants pocket), is that Chrysler took the damn key cylinders off all but driver door and tailgate. A definite PITA when out running errands. Hope the power locks don't crap out. Never understood the appeal of remote fobs- you are standing at the damn door anyway.

Reply to
aemeijers

All I ever use is the remote fob. You're not standing at the door, you're walking towards it and it's unlocked when you get to it. I can have the fob in my hand, holding some package and be able to press the unlock without having to try to get my hand and the key in line with a lock cylinder. I don't know why they put lock cylinders on anymore.

Reply to
Pete C.

I use the remote fob for our Avalon and Solara doors too. The Avalon has a keyless ignition system, but the Solara uses an ignition key. I guess the Pathfinder also has an ignition key.

Reply to
HLS

For when the fob battery goes dead. Or the fob breaks. Or you lose it.

Reply to
M.M.

Then I use the keypad on the door.

Reply to
Pete C.

Long story short? Too late!

I no longer keep my Scion key in my pocket. I have two of those oversized everything on the key keys.

I don't (er...can't) smoke in the house. So I open the door and stand in the doorway. I was getting up to have a smoke and heard the *whump* of a door closing. I opened the door in time to see my Scion's dome light dimming.

Seems that in certain positions the "unlock" button is depressed, unlocking the doors. I no longer carry the Scion keys in my pocket, and it's a Royal PITA.

What really gets me is the unlock button is recessed; the lock button is raised!

I was walking through my yard the other day, watching the flashers indicating my fob was unlocking the doors...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

See my answer to the OP, above... :(

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I have heard the same thing and same price about two years ago. I think you HAVE to have two keys to make more otherwise you have to buy a new computer.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Because fob batteries die? I could live with a fob, I guess, if it was separate from the key, but this damn thing is as big as a serving spoon. If I put it on my keyring, the ring becomes a huge pointy thing, too big to put in a pants pocket without it constantly digging into my leg. I don't really want to carry the car key separately, or wear keys on my belt like a janitor.

Reply to
aemeijers

$10 solution to a $2 problem.

Reply to
aemeijers

Unless Toyota is different than all the other brands, no. Somebody with the special machine can take the secret number that dealer can look up with the VIN, and program a key. The special machine is expensive, so dealers and locksmiths use it as a profit center.

Without the special machine, you do need two working keys.

Reply to
aemeijers

Thank you all for you input. It sounds like this CAN be done, if you find the right people. If it is going to be $1000, she might trade it for a newer one. (It is maybe a 2005 - I am not sure).

Reply to
HLS

I've never had a fob battery suddenly die in the past 12 or so years I've had a fob. There is always a noticeable range reduction well before they die to warn you to replace them. I suppose someone who waits until they are standing in front of the door might not notice it, but most people hit unlock when they are still 10-15' away from the vehicle.

My fobs are all separate, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care for some all-in-one monstrosity either.

Reply to
Pete C.

Or the car battery goes dead...

Reply to
M.M.

It's a diesel with two batteries and electronics to prevent lights being left on, etc.

Reply to
Pete C.

Let me know the actual year and engine and I will tell you what can be done.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
rogdog3

Let me know the actual year and engine and I will tell you what can be done.

Toyota MDT in MO

******** Good lad! Thanks very much.. I get the info.
Reply to
HLS