transmission dipstick level reading

I'll admit despite reading a bit and having people explain automatic transmissions to me I am clueless as to how they work and am more scared when there is a mysterious noise or funny shifting happening with the transmission than if there's a funny noise from the engine. That said, I have a question about how to read the dipstick.

When the car is cold, the level appears to be above the HOT marking. After driving around for some time with the van running and in Park, the level is right at the HOT level. What is the COLD marking for and why does the level actually drop after the hydraulic fluid gets hot?

Am I reading the level properly or is my transmission overfilled?

Reply to
badgolferman

The best way to check transmission fluid level is with the fluid hot.

Reply to
Ray O

Are you checking it when it is running when you say COLD?

Reply to
mnm

I have the same problem. The ATF level always above the HOT mark regardless the fluid is hot or not. Is it OK?

Reply to
wenmang

thanks for writing and asking ?

to make things very simple..

cold....level should between the two notches..of the cold hot ..level should be between two notches of the hot.

i prefer taking the readings when engine is hot....and as long as it s not the very bottom end.. shouldnt be a problem

miyanjee

miyanjee o via CarKB.com

...AND with the engine idling and in park of course!...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

And after once shifting through each of the gears (at least that is how I learned to do it).

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

IGNORE the dipstick when the trans is cold.

When the trans is warmed up, the fluid is pumped into all sorts of places, as the trans cools then the fluid drains from the far away places, and this makes it appear as though the level has risen.

Always check the trans when warm, engine running, and it Park.

Checking when cold will tell you the color of the fluid, but not much more unless you are a transmission guy. Ray, from the board here, will know what he sees on a cold transmission stick, but most of us will not know. The best information for us regular guys will come from a hot transmission.

Reply to
J Strickland

It depends on how much too high it is. Much the same as the motor oil, it matters how much over filled it is to know what sorts of problems there can be.

Reply to
J Strickland

So if I pull it out and it's dry then my trans will work OK?

Reply to
Fantom

I didn't say that. What I said was you can't judge how much fluid to pour in based on what the stick says when cold. If your trans isn't working right, looking at the stick isn't the way to find out, and looking at the stick in this case confirms your suspicions, it isn't your first indication.

When the trans is working right, and one is merely doing routine checking of the fluid level, the correct way to make this check is when the trans is warm.

If the trans is not working right, you usually find out when it is warm, and waiting for it to cool before pulling the stick seems counter intuitive to me, which makes your statement absurd.

Reply to
J Strickland

Just so.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

....and Ray's keyboard.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Well...maybe you got a point there guy... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

C'mon Jeff...he was likely just trying to insert some levity into the discussion!... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

OK, I'll share the factory rep's secret for diagnosis from looking at a cold automatic transmission dip stick: . . . . . . Translucent red - fluid is OK. Note: does not necessarily mean that the transmission is OK or that fluid level is OK. . . . . . . . Any color but translucent red - fluid is not OK and more checking is necessary, i.e., smell the fluid, research service and operating history, pressure test, stall test, manual shift test.

Reply to
Ray O

That's the same thing the regular guys get too, but some people have to hear it from the professionals.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Fluid=Black Smell=Burnt Manual Shift test=It's ALL I have! I HAVE to manually shift, or I won't GO anywhere!

Manual Shift test is good, BTW...

Reply to
HachiRoku

I thought you fixed that already...