Reading Escape Transmission Fluid Level

Just bought a 2001 Escape. When I check the level [in P, warm engine] one side of the dipstick shows fluid consistently lower than the other. About 1 inch dfference. So if I rotate the stick on insertion, the level is either about 1/3 inch above the crosshatching or 1/3 inch below.

I've done this repeatedly. I've left the dipstick in for several minutes. I still get a variation. Weird.

How do you folks determine the level with accuracy?

Thanks.

-- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Reply to
John Keiser

With great difficulty. This is the reason I think Ford and others are eliminating dip sticks from automatic transmissions. You should read the procedure for checking the fluid level in my Vue's transmissions, or for that matter in a 2003 Explorer's.

In your case I think I'd leave well enough alone. It sounds like the "average" is right in the sweet spot.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Generaly, use the higher mark. Pulling the stick back out will scrape the fluid off one side. Also, try turning the stick 180' while checking to compair readings.

Reply to
Scott M