1994 Camry - Need hints for A/C Recharging with Freon

Hi,

For my 94-camry 4cyl, mistakenly I removed one bolt and end up loosing Freon gas. Present my A/C system is not effective.

Is re-filling Freon easy and "do-it-yourself type" instead of going to car mechanic. I see Freon re-fills are being sold at Kragen and Walmart/Kmart.

AAA approved car mechanic charging $80 for Labor and $24 for lb. Seems this car requires 2.5 lb of freon. So total cost could be around $150.00

Greatly appreciate your suggestion on the procedures and precautions to be taken.

Regards, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

Your car is filled with a particular kind of refrigerant known as R134a. There are MANY other kinds. Once all the pressure has been released from the system, the system must be drawn down to a near perfect vacuum with a special pump before new refrigerant can be added. If this is not done, the air that is now in the system will displace volume that would otherwise be filled by refrigerant. Refilling with air present results in excessive pressures AND reduced cooling because air does not absorb and release heat like refrigerant does.

So ... off to an A/C repair shop you go!

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

Ramakrishna Devisetti wrote:

Reply to
Philip®

I made the same mistake with ny 94 last year. Fortunately I have a friend who has his own private garage and we used his AC machine to refill the system.

I took my 97 into the dealer for an AC check/recharge (1 lb. needed) and it didn't cost $150; more like $70-80.

Reply to
badgolferman

1 pound cans of R134a refrigerant are typically $6 each. But if you have an R12 refrigerant system (pre 1993), then you're looking at $40 per pound can. The labor either way is similar.
--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Yesterday I went to NAPA auto store. They told my car needs R-12a Freon and told EPA qualified to operate that.

Today I took to A/C repair shop and he evacuated and re-filled/rechared with R134a Freon. I asked the repair person about, whether R-134a is the right one he is using because of so many other e-mails I read of Freon type being used for

94-Camry.

He showed me the connectors for R-12 and R-134 and told R-12 charging connectors doesn't fit and R-134 fits to this car mean... this car needs R-134a.

So Could I am assume I am fine.

Appreciae your advices and suggestions to take to repair shop.

Regards, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

What kind of Freon they filled up in your car ?? How much Freon they recharged. My hood doesn't have this information.

They filled R-134a and 1.9lb of Freon in my A/C. It costed me $85.00

Thanks, Rama

Reply to
Ramakrishna Devisetti

You have the right stuff. Your previous post proves it by the type of fitting you have.

Reply to
badgolferman

There is a sticker on the underside of the hood or in the engine compartment on the sheet metal telling you what type and how much refrigerant is required for your system. As pointed out, the R-134a charging fittings are larger and of a different design than those on a system requiring R-12.

-- -Philip