306 A/C recharging

I've had a quick google, but no joy, so...

Anyone know where the re-gassing points are for the A/C on a Peugeot 306? I'm going to buy one of those cans of DIY refridgerant (I understand Carl had some success with one), but I need to know where to plug it in...

Reply to
Abo

Low Pressure: Pipe off back of pump that goes to the evaporator on the bulkhead.

High Pressure: Pipe that goes from Drier to Condenser at Drier end.

Reply to
Conor

Mine was an old R12 system, I bought a high pressure cannister ( like a very large sodastream bulb not like a spray can) of R49/R314 (drop in replacement) and the correct valve.

Make sure you aren't trying to refill R12 with R134a. I will probably leak and the valve on the cans won't fit and you will need more of it when you find an adaptor.

Aircon worked fine after.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

In message , Abo joss stops reading and ponders a while before scribbling this reply

Are you sure this is something you really want to mess about with? Do you know what weight and type of refrigerant you need to use? By weight I mean the volume of refrigerant for your car? This is potentially dangerous stuff your messing with. Have you pressure tested the system to see if there are any leaks? Otherwise your wasting your time. Are you going to change the drier filter bottle? How will you scavenge the old refrigerant? It is illegal just to vent it to atmosphere!!!

Trust me and do yourself a big favour and pay a pro to do it for you.

Read this and learn and educate your self before embarking on doing this your self

I recently had mine done Pug 306 Meridian 1.6 petrol Needed new compressor, Pug dealer wanted over £500 plus vat. I got a brand new one for £285 inc vat and next day delivery Front pipe from compressor to exchanger was corroded, a common fault. Pug dealer wanted £98.00 plus vat. The guy who did mine repaired the pipe by adding a new section, £30.00 New drier receiver £35.00 inc vat and next day delivery. The guy was top notch and fitted the new compressor and repaired pipe plus drier receiver bottle. Drained and scavenged old refrigerant. Added new compressor oil and dye so any leaks would be visible in future. Pressure tested the system for leaks. Then re gassed the system with the correct weight of refrigerant and fully tested everything. He charged me £60.00 for the re gas, pressure testing and dye plus fitting the new drier bottle. £75.00 for repairing the pipe and re fitting, including taking the old compressor off and refitting the new one. Start to finish he was 3 hours in total. The system works as it should. Excellent service indeed.

Reply to
jossmer

Likewise.

I bought a can of the halfords stuff for =A317 which was a waste of money as I had to get a professional chap out to fix a leak anyway. I used Aircon direct who charged something like =A360 + VAT. =20 Friendly service.

Reply to
Steve W

Aircondirect's website is the worst of late 90's FrontPage-fuelled horrendousness!

Reply to
fishman

Yup, I'll agree with that. I tried the Halfords stuff, but have ended up calling out a mobile guy - he's coming this afternoon - reckons between £55 and £80 plus VAT to sort it.

Reply to
SteveH

In message , jossmer joss stops reading and ponders a while before scribbling this reply

I for got to mention that the link I provided was just for information. I did not use that company. I used a mobile mechanic called Dave Wilson. He works the Doncaster area of South Yorkshire.

Reply to
jossmer

So 6 months to order it, 4 weeks for it to arrive, then they get to tell you "f*ck off, it isn't our fault, we'll call you when the right one arrives" when the wrong part is dispatched then.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Where from, Carl? I was thinking of having a go at the SD1.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From

one of these with the hose included.

Not sure if that includes the hose like the one I ordered did . Might need to contact the seller. Better filled as a liquid (turn the can upside down). I used Kitchen scales to work out when I had put in the right weight of refrigerant. It stayed in OK while I had it.

He does pretty much anything car aircon related including proper conversion kits and pro-equipment. Might not be the cheapest, but if it can be refilled he will have something to fill it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

NeedforSwede2 waffled thus:

Just mailed the guy... :)