1996 Camry headlights

I want everyone a thanks for the information I've found in this group. I think the best tip was to use toyotadiscountparts.com for internet ordering.

We recently bought a 1996 Camry LE 4 cylinder with 89k miles on the odometer. I've worked thru a list of routine maintenance and small repairs and am now down to personal preferences.

We frequently drive on two lane country roads at night where high beam headlights are important for avoiding deer and other surprises. On this Camry it seems like I can't bring the high beams up high enough without having the low beams too high for oncoming traffic. Since the high and low lamps ride in the same fixture I don't see an obvious fix, though I'm thinking about trying higher wattage bulbs in the high beams. Has anyone else done something to improve the high beam reach?

Thanks again and in advance for any help, Dave in MN

Reply to
Dave

Has anyone else done something to improve the high beam reach? ========== Meguiar's Power Ball and plastic polish for the exterior, Sylvania Silver Star for the bulbs - plus another set in the trunk since they don't last as long, plus doing your own adjustment twenty feet out from a vertical wall, properly center low beams two inches below a line even with the center of the headlamps. With clear lenses and bright bulbs high beam seems to work pretty well. The Power Ball allows you to use a drill motor to polish the headlamp surface much more efficiently than by hand and is unaffected by the small bumps on the surface which look like the exact center of the headlamps - a useful point for measuring when putting a reference line on the headlamp aiming wall. I used a small piece of plywood and concrete blocks to secure it temporarily, and a black marker line to indicate the headlamp center height on the plywood.

Reply to
Daniel

Get driving lights Piaa is a good brand, you will never get what you need out of stock lights even with Silverstars. For brighter bulbs check Lumen ratings. Piaa has probably the best replacement bulbs, but for plastic lenses in hot summer you might melt something

Reply to
m Ransley

Wow, you're right! I did manage to beat their price by $75 for a fuel tank, but I called the dealer I bought it from and dealt with the person live. (88 Supra, BTW). I looked up the price for a fuel pump, and very good!

I have been using Jaffarian's in Haverhill, MA (about 65 miles from home) and Champion Toyota in Texas, but I'll look into this, for sure!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have used Champion for a several items and found them to be very responsive.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Switching to a higher wattage bulbs will draw more current to the wires, and add more heat inside the lamps that may cause premature life. It's advisable to turn of your headlights when in traffic to keep them cool. Since you only use the high beam lights on some occasion select a higher wattage bulbs that has 55/100 watt bulb instead of a 90/100. As for the higher current on the wires, adding a relay kit to avoid burning up switches and fuses.

Reply to
EdV