87 Camry Keeper or Not?

This 87 Camry wagon has 172,000 miles on it. the 4 cylinder engine still runs well and has plenty of power. No smoke. Oil stays clean between the

4,000 mile oil/filter changes. Body is in great shape. Has run well with no major problems and is still reliable but the problems are building up-

Now it needs shocks($300-500). The heater control is screwy but probably fixable. AC is weakening. Just last week I discovered a gas tank leak which will likely necessitate the replacement of tank and fuel pump($400). The tranny works well but the little shifting solenoids are seemingly wearing out($300). It will need tires in the summer($300).

New car prices are giving us a headache. We are seriously considering keeping the Camry and getting the problems fixed.......

How much do you think this car is worth without the pieces you want to fix ?

Reply to
Corrlens

It's not worth much of anything without the gas tank and shocks getting replaced.

Reply to
dsunger

If you are going to use it for short communte go to A paragraph below, if you use the car on freeway and you want piece of mind try my "B" paragraph solution:

A. So, You'll need to invest $1000 so it can be usable/saleable before the summer . Maybe get the pieces from eBay a lot cheaper or from a junkyard in case you want to keep the car. How many more years are you planning to keep it ? How much do you pay for insurance?

B. Well if you drive on the freeways a lot at high speeds (65mph), if I ware you I'll try getting a new 5 year warranty Camry with low APR, get the invoice price from the internet and stick to it when you go to the dealer minus rebates, that way I know at least I'll have peace of mind for 5 years. Maybe they'll trade in your 87' without the fixes.

Reply to
Corrlens

What a dilema! From what you said, you have a basically sound car. Where do you live? Is rust a problem?

Also, why do you suspect a fuel pump? If the tank is leaking, you can remove it and patch it. I just talked to someone about this. You remove the tank, have it sandblasted and then patch it with a self adhesive pad and fiberglass. It should last 2-3 years. I would then spray it with paint and even rubberized undercoating, just for goo measure.

I would do the shocks, FLUSH the tranny ~$90, and get some decent tires for about $50. Sounds like you like the car.

Here's my dilema. I bought an '85 Celica 2 years ago, needed a rack & pinion. I was working at a Carquest and got it just about cost. Then I picked up something in a tire, $225 for 4 new tires (they were barely passable). Then, I discovered oil was blowing back into the intake. '91 Tacoma engine, $300 and $300 to install. All ready to get a retest, so I put about 3/4 of a tank of gas in the car today. Get back to my shop... the exhaust broke right at the muffler and gas is leaking! $414 for a tank, and $127 for exhaust! So, what do *I* do? (LOL)

Reply to
HachiRoku

Toyotas last , if you have taken care of it and are happy with it it is worh keeping. The value of it is little for sale, but to you it is and wont depreciate much and a new car will. The tank leak may be minor and patched with expoxy from the outside. 172000 is realy not alot on a Toyota if it is a non rusting car that is maintained and not subjected to winter road salt. All cars need maintenance from driving if that is all you need you will come out ahead.

Reply to
m Ransley

I may not be the best person to ask. I tend to keep cars forever which is even easier with Toyota. Main point is whether you would want a different car. Had a college finance (capital budgeting decision, I think) professor who calculated that it is always less costly to repair than replace a car. If you can do all your own work, that helps a lot. That Gen. 2 Camry is one of the most reliable cars available. Low on power though, but they just keep cruising along. Sounds like yours is in good condition - body, engine. Really no reason to change unless you want to. Some repairs are inevitable - especially consumables like shocks and tires. You weren't really considering selling the car because it needs new tires, were you? If you're just tired of an old car, and want a new(er) one, go ahead and replace it - but it generally is not justified on a strictly finanacial basis, unless you had a different car - some makes develop very expensive difficulties with an ongoing string of unending problems and that would be different than your Toyota. Some people have driven these 600,000 miles, but I suspect it's mostly a matter of personal preference. Again, if you could do your own work, that would really help. I suspect keeping the car economical and efficient is an much a matter of the skill, patience and integrity of your mechanic as anything else. If you're thinking about replacing the car, maybe starting a savings program is the best idea. When you have enough to buy one - revisit the issue. That way, no payments! :-)

Reply to
nospampls2002

Fixing up the Camry is what we are probably going to do. We still love the car. The body, engine, and transmission are in nice shape.

I have been doing the maintenance all the way along. Oil changes at

3-4,000 miles. Belts and bearings have been changed on schedule.

It's great to hear positive folks who advocate keeping her going!

Reply to
dsunger