89 Toyota Camry fuse guide

I'm needing to know the layout for my fuse box inside the car. My speedometer and odometer quit working and was told to check the fuses. But I don't know which one is which. HELP!!!

Reply to
An-G

Isn't the fuse didgram on the inside of the fusebox cover ?

Reply to
sdhartney

Owner's manual should list every fuse and its function. ~~~~~~~~ Did a foolish thing a while back, by buying the original CD player and radio combination for my Toyota, thinking it would look better with the CD unit on top. Only much later, after smoke came wafting out from the dash did I realize those air vent holes on top of the radio were covered by the bottom of the CD player. Along with the burning electrical smell, the dome light, key light, trunk light were not operating. I suspected the fuses under the coin box, but the Owner's Manual showed the exact correct fuse in the first fuse box under the hood, and for around $2, all was well again. Miraculously, I found a replacement radio (exact original part number that works with that specific CD player) on eBay for $3.95. Moral of the story - check the manual (but I don't remember seeing the speedometer listed in the fused circuits - perhaps if you have an electronic odometer, yours is different)

Reply to
Daniel

oops, just read the heading. If you have an '89, you do not have an electronic odometer. The odometer would have nothing to do with fuses. Try checking the speed sensor at the transmission first, and also the external wiring connection at the sensor - if I'm guessing correctly, should be the only item with wires attached to your transaxle (aka transmission). The speedometer works by reading the speed from that sensor, so if you have broken wire, or the connector fell off, --- there you go. If you did discover a blown fuse - before blithely replacing the fuse, you need to determine the cause so it doesn't just overload again.

Reply to
Daniel