A/C emission

1997 Camry LE. Wife says there was a misty emission from the vents the other day when she turned on the A/C. She also claims the fan was running before she turned it on. I don't know if it smelled like anything. The system seems to be working fine right now. I don't think it was any kind of refrigerant since it would have all probably leaked out by now. Any other similar experiences?
Reply to
badgolferman

Perfectly normal -- the air pumped out is colder than the surounding are.

of

Reply to
Wolfgang

If this was normal, wouldn't we be seeing it more often? I have owned many cars over the years and have never seen a mist come out. Taking your answer would also imply the cool air being pumped into my house from the house A/C would be visible in hot, humid rooms.

Perhaps my eyesight is not that good anymore, I don't know.

Reply to
badgolferman

many

answer

A/C

Reply to
Wolfgang

Nothing to worry about. I can reproduce this on my 92 by

- turning off the A/C after it has been on for a while

- waiting 30 seconds

- turning it on again

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

Hi, I have had my CAMRY for 9 years. I just saw this mist for first time last week. After A/C it had been on. Then switched off for period. Then back ON. Same as Lic K.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
Johnny Melvin

"badgolferman" muttered darkly in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Yup. Happens to our Tercel under certain circumstances (usually a really hot interior), also happened to the Chev Tracker we rented in CA last summer.

Perfectly normal.

--
TeGGeR®

How to find anything on the Internet:
www.google.com

or in Usenet Groups:
www.groups.google.com

Google is your friend. Learn how to use it.
Reply to
Tegger®

My Mom's '86 Camry has been doing this since new. Kinda like a fog machine. Usually when the humidity is high.

Been doing it since '86! I wouldn't worry...

Reply to
HachiRoku

She saw plain old fog. It can happen when the humidity is very high. I've seen it myself. You don't see it in your house because the inside of your house rarely gets as hot or humid as the cabin of your car can get, and you car's A/C probably pumps out colder air than does your house A/C.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

I've had a couple of cars that were notorious for producing fog (one Toyota and one Mazda). The evaporator cools the air to just abouve the freezong point of water. Some cars are colder than others. If they don't get it jsut right, you get fog. I know in the case of my Mazda they released two or three different control modules in an attempt to elimate the fog. They never did in my cae.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

There seems to be an update to this story now. Today she says the mist is somewhat colored and the cooling has become deficient. The car gets dropped off tomorrow morning for the dealer to inspect.

Reply to
badgolferman

Hmm, now that sounds like a heater core leak. At least it should be easy for the tech to diagnose.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

The dealer said it was about a can low of refrigerant. This is not surprising to me since it needed a refill when I bought it from them 2.5 years ago. They filled it up and put the yellow dye in it to look for leaks. They saw none while the car stayed there for 6 hours. I am to drive it for a while and come back to see if it has leaked out. It is probably as the majority have claimed, water vapor.

Reply to
badgolferman

Normal as the other poster said----except if while your A/C is on and the defroster is fogging up the window then the heater core has a pinhole leak. IF the defroster does not fog up the windshield while the A/C is on then it's OK.

badgolferman wrote:

Reply to
jlanco

During the winter months near the beach, my Corolla's defroster will get the windshield cold enough to have water condense on the OUTSIDE of the glass, about 3-5" up from the wipers. Interesting phenomenon.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM

jlancos @moultriega.com>" < wrote:

Reply to