Camry 2.2 counter rotating balance shaft installation

I have a new toyota shortblock 5SFE 2.2 for our 99 camry, and we even ordered a new balance shaft assy ($450!) to install. the manual suggests that I need a special tool and dial indicator, capablable of measuring to .0002 tollerances. and that there are 4 different ways to check the measurements. We installed the unit using the original shims that the motor came from the factory with. We've measured with a dial indicator and what we have here and we're about .002 backlash to the crank gear, when the indicator is located about even with the top of the rotating shafts, and every inch higher added a couple more thousanths. .

I called the local Toyota dealer. They don't even own the tool, and have never measured at all, they just suggested that it needs to have a little play, not too much (quote- head technician with service manager too).

I'm too nervous to finish assy of this engine the wrong way. I've heard that many don't even install the unit at all, I wanted to make it like it was. HELP!

Reply to
mr.jukebox

I can't imagine that a dealer doesn't have this tool. You have to dial in the backlash just right on these gears or you are going to have some terrible noise and wear on the balancer shaft gears. The tool doesn't measure backlash right at the gears, but a couple of inches above it. So without the proper length tool from Toyota, you aren't going to get an accurate reading at all. I'd suggest finding one; I've seen more than one tech take an engine back down to change the shims because he didn't measure them right the first time.

Reply to
qslim