Balance Shaft Belt

Hi

Having a service/belt change on the Rover 618 (r reg) tomorrow. The guy doing it says it has a blaance shaft belt. I ve never heard of one so.

WHat is a balance shaft and what does it do?

Jon

Reply to
John Rogerlot

Balancer shafts are used to smooth out vibration inherent in most 4-cyl engines.

Reply to
Chris

Oh right

So is this a major belt change or not. The car has done 27k but the service done 6 months ago I feel was incomplete . They claimed to have changed the belts at my request and have now gone bust. A friend had his done on a Mondeo at the same time at same garage and it snapped last weekend. The AA reckon his belt had done in excess of 60k miles. Hence I am getting it checked out and replaced.

Jon

Reply to
John Rogerlot

Sorry, actually no balancer shafts in a 1.8, I should have realised you meant cambelt.

Not a big job and a wise precaution to change it at 27K, as it can wreck the engine if it breaks! (38K is about tops.)

Reply to
Chris

The belt was supposedly changed at 24k but as I said the garage went bust and a friend who had is belt changed found to his expense it wasnt replaced. The guy doing it says its a quick job and might as well replace if hes taking it off for inspection

Reply to
John Rogerlot

But AFAIK- the Honda 1.8 engine doesnt have a balancer shaft!, - only the

2.3 litre version does.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.