Camry Toe...?

My 01 is a 4 cyl. Can I tow a trailer with a small motorcycle on it.? Bike only weighs 300 lbs. or less... But I'd be towing it 1k miles... Thanks

Reply to
O O

Check the following message from a Camry owner towing 900 lbs responding to towing tent trailer. BTW, the manual should tell you. IMO the Camry is good up until 50% of the passenger weight rating.

Re: 2001 Camry Trailer Towing [gerryd] by joescar Jun 26, 2005 (8:56 am)

Replying to: gerryd (Jun 25, 2005 5:35 am) We towed a 900 pound pop-up with a 4 Cyl. Camry and although it didn't do any damage, I'd have to advise against it. Stopping was difficult, the suspension was strained, power was inadequate, etc. I would certainly NOT tow the weight you propose under any circumstances! Buy yourself a truck or SUV if you want to tow. A modern van is also an alternative which worked well for us. Best of luck!

Reply to
johngdole

If it is now and cold on flat it should not hurt it but in high temps up mountains it will he hard on it, heat kills transmissions. Total weight should not be much but what does the trailer weigh and full car load. You have to KNOW how to balance a trailer, or stopping can be impossible.

Reply to
ransley

I towed a 1000lb 14' boat, trailer & motor with 90lb tongue weight for 300 miles x2 times per year on Wisconsin highways (mild hills) without any problems with my 2001 Camry 4cyl. Auto. I used a class II hitch and had 3 people and some luggage in the car. Temps in the 80s to low 90s. Car never had any issues. Towing capcity was rated at 2000 lbs. I was getting 21-22mpg when towing. I changed the tranny fluid every 15k and changed the oil every

3K. I'm sure towing puts extra wear on the engine and tranny, but I never had any issues in the 4 years I owned the car. I have a 2005 4cyl Camry now, and pull a small trailer with 2 scooters occasionally, and have no problems with this setup either. Towing the scooters is almost unnoticeable compared to the boat, but the car handled both well. I had a F150 and pulled a stock car years ago, and I would say the Camry towing setup seems just as capable within it's limits. The trailer also comes in handy for lumber or other large items I need to haul once in a while. Some of my macho friends insist they need a pickup truck (14mpg) to haul the same load 2x per year and their mouth drops open when I explain that I just use a trailer (30+mpg hehe).

Drive safe and leave plenty of extra stopping distance, and don't forget you are towing when changing lanes.

Reb

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

Thanks RR. Good to hear others experiences. I recently considered selling my camry to buy a new corolla, xb or a yaris. But after researching on edmunds, I don't see how it'd be an improvement.

The corolla is smaller (still) yet gets worse gas mileage and has a smaller towing capicty 1500 vs. 2000 for the 01 camry. I can't find anything that I like as much as the car I have. So, I guess I'll take care of the 'defered maintanance' I've waited on and keep her at leas 3 more years.

I've taken a corolla and a scion xb on 24 hour test drives; And on both occasions, I couldn't wait to pick up my old faithful camry again. I even felt guilty to even consider changing.

"Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?" -Groucho Marx

Reply to
N O