How much weight can my Camry carry ?

97 Camry LE 4 cyl. I need to pick up some concrete pavers that are 2"x8"x16" & weigh 17 pounds each. I need 36 & the total weight will be 612 pounds. Can i put these in the trunk safely ?
Reply to
desgnr

I dought it but stop loading when it sags, put some on the passenger floor, seat, and rear seat, I overloaded mine and broke a spring when hitting a bump.

Reply to
ransley

I went on a toyota parts book from a dealer in my area to find out that the springs on a 4 cyl and 6 cyl camry are the same. where could the difference be? Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

The 4-cyls have really cheap rear springs, maybe the fronts too. You read reports of them sagging to easily. So take it easy while loading. Maybe make two-three trips if not too much trouble.

Reply to
johngdole

Just one, small, light body, in the trunk and you are bottoming out.

Reply to
ransley

What year of Camry, Scott? The 6 cyl, for CERTAIN years, such as 1999, definitely has better SUSPENSION than its 4 cyl. counterpart. Under SUSPENSION, I include such things as springs, struts, etc..

Reply to
Sharx35

Just one, small, light body, in the trunk and you are bottoming out.

Like I said, the 6 cyl. is FAR better...almost an entry-level Lexus.

Reply to
Sharx35

Yeah, right. My 4 cyl. '97 with 140k miles is just fine with the original suspension components, thankyouverymuch.

Reply to
mack

quoted text -

And FAR worse on milage, which is all I care about.

Reply to
ransley

Try loading more than, say 200 pounds in the trunk with MORE than 2 adults in the car.

Reply to
Sharx35

And FAR worse on milage, which is all I care about.

Who give a flying f*ck about mileage, you cheap bastard? You can't take it with you, you know...so why go on the cheap? You only live once, you know.

Reply to
Sharx35

============= Locate the sticker on the front driver side door post and find the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). Subtract your weight and the remainer is the rated load capacity for your car. Also check the owner's manual to see if you need to add air in the rear tires for "fully loaded - four passengers with luggage" - probably something like an extra two pounds p.s.i.

Reply to
Daniel

Borrrow me 3000LB for petrol matey, as you said , it cant go with you, but maybe me and the misses can use it for ya,

ANYONE with any BRAINS got out of the U.K. a LONG time ago.

Reply to
Sharx35

There was a time when the V6 Camry made sense. However the improvement to the 4 cylinder engine have been so significant, that now there is little benefit in the V6. Yeah, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds for the V6 versus a still respectable 8.9 seconds for the I4. If you're doing a lot of mountain driving off of freeways then maybe the V6 makes sense. For city and freeway driving, the better fuel economy and higher reliability makes the I4 the smarter choice. They had to beef up the suspension for the extra weight of the V6 engine, yet the towing capacity is still the same at 1000 pounds.

Reply to
SMS

Why the avg car owner should have more than 3-4 cilinders is beyond me,

Reply to
ransley

Some people still remember very weak 4 cylinder engines from the 1970's and 1980's and don't realize how much more powereful today's 4 cylinder engines are. I remember when my dad had a V8 Dodge Dart and my stepfather had a slant 6 Dodge Dart. The slant 6 was anemic, the V8 was not. That put the notion in my head that I just had to have a V8, on any car I owned (though in reality I never bought a V8). I had a 1985 Toyota Landcruiser with a 4.2L inline 6, and that was an anemic engine for such a heavy vehicle. So there were, and probably are still are, times when the lower hp engine makes a big difference, but the Camry isn't one of those times.

Reply to
SMS

That's the trouble with these new fangled cars. In the old days you had no problem putting 2-3 bodies and a full size carpet in the average American boat, err car.

Reply to
Father Guido

Like others said, spread it out inside teh car on teh floor, seats, etc. Make believe you have three large passengers made of concrete.

Reply to
Joe