early 90's Camry vs Maxima?

I'm starting to shop for a replacement vehicle for our wrecked 92 Camry. I'm considering hunting for 92-96 Camry and same for Maxima. I've done a little reading on a Nissan board and seems the maintenance on a Maxima might be more expensive than Camry. Is this true? Do you think a well maintained Maxima would be a good choice if I can't find a Camry with the service records? TIA.

Reply to
Mike Mason

Since all Maximas had 6 cylinder motors and only some camrys back then did then maintenance would be higher for Maxima. I dont think the Maxima held up that well compared to Camry. Find a nice 96 model if you can.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Are 92-96 Camrys basically the same vehicle? or are there subtle differences/advatages to the later years?

Reply to
Mike Mason

The 4 cyl version of those years, aside from cosmetics, front/rear treatments are the same. In 1994, the 3.0 L aluminum, 1MZ-FE V6 replaced the iron block 3VZ-FE V6. OBD II diagnostics also came with this version/year as well.

A Maxima of the same years will have many versions of the V6 according to the trim line. Weakest would be the VG30E (timing belt), in the middle VE30DE, and lastly the VQ30DE (chain). All 95 and 96 models came with the VQ30DE.

Weak points for the Maxima has been fuel injectors, window motors, and clutch for manual models. The one I owned was VERY solid, reliable, and well built, but gas mileage was rather poor, at least with my 91 manual SE

Reply to
Platil

Subtle changes to the bodywork, about 1994 they added the passenger airbag. By 1996 they ironed out any minor problems.

Reply to
ROBMURR

I had a 92 Max and a 91 Max. Other common problems were cracks in the exhaust manifold, faulty door locks, crappy BOSE stereo systems, digital instrument clusters would die, bad vehicle speed sensors...all these problems happened in BOTH my Maximas. They rusted like hell too.

The only thing I liked better than my 92 Camry is that the VE30DE engine just purred....

Stick with the Camry, I really like the newer Maximas but for the older models, the Camry is more reliable.

Reply to
hlee

These camrys... if you were so inclined (and adept), you could change the oil filter w/ your feet. There's THAT much room for you. There's also a fun little ECT switch by the driver selector (electronically controlled transmission, a sports mode if you will). This is in addition to the overdrive switch. Just pop in some cheap platinum sparkplugs and you'll forget it's a 4-banger family sedan.

Besides the drive, the hood is held up by 2 hydraulic arms (in my 96 anyways).

Reply to
T Chaos