'90 Camry no reverse or neutral

Hi,

I have a 90 Camry with 200,000+ miles, runs fine but:

tranmission started dragging recently, whirring before coming fully engaged at start. The other day went to back up and there was no reverse, and car now moves forward in neutral. Still runs fine as long as I am going forward.

Fluid level is fine. Is the transmission shot, or is there something I should look at/for before I know.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Antoniak

When is the last time you changed the trans oil and filter, my 91 did the same when 10f out, even though the fluid was only 10000 miles on it, doing the whole job helped out, its been 3 yrs.

Reply to
m Ransley

most of the time when you mess with the fluid of an older cars transmission especially with that kind of mileage you end up doing more harm then good so make sure you know what your doing b4 you touch anything

Reply to
justinm930

What color is the fluid?

Reply to
Daniel

I have a 2000 Camry and before that I had a 1997 Camry. There is a 1 year time change recommendation for the transmission fluid. It suggests a "refresh" rather than the dealership full flush unless there is a major problem. You do have a major problem, however you might try refresh. If it were my car I would drain the transmission and refill it with the Dexron-3, wait a week or a month and do it again. If the new fluid cleans it up and frees the gummed up clutches and valves you have it cheap. Then the second refresh is to get rid of most of the crud. There are a lot of places inside that will not drain like in the lower part of the torque converter and the valve body, but most of the fluid will have been replaced. You can buy a kit of seals and pull the bottom panel of the case and clean or maybe replace the filter (screen?) also. My cars get Mobil-1 ATF (synthetic automatic transmission fluid) instead of Dexron. The synthetic will hold up better to heat and last longer. I still refresh it every fall. The viscosity of each fluid will be very slightly different but not enough to make any difference. These fluids are engineered to be interchangeable and mixable anyway and the mechanical parts of the cars are engineered to do well with anything generally available for cars unless noted on the packaging. There is a "Ford F" fluid that is only for specified transmissions. And there are special fluids for things like airplanes that do not mix with anything else or other brands, of course, but that should not be a consideration for most of us. Location of the drain plug and replacement amounts are in your owners manual or repair manual from the auto parts store of your choice.

Reply to
Charlie

Was the strainer ever replaced (not just cleaned with compressed air)? Pan dropped and metal shavings cleaned?

However, like others said, beware before touching an old transmission. It might just fail completely. Begin with the simple stuff first, like cycling all tranny fluid every few weeks to refresh all the fluid in the system (before going into a power flush).

Reply to
johngdole

If the filter is clogged oil wont circulate, replace it , its BS to worry about changing a filter on an old unit.

Reply to
m Ransley