Need pad and rotor recommendations

Hello all,

I changed the front pads on my 2000 Camry a couple of years back. I used Wagner pads, they're ok, but they like to squeel in the morning when backing out of the driveway, not cool at all. I now need to do the rears and I'd like to go ahead and replace the fronts again as well. What are your favorite brake pads?

On the rotor issue, it seems like everyone was in love with Brembo (sp?) back then. Are they still preferred? The stock ones seem usable still, but I'd like to have the best brakes possible. I'm not opposed to spending a few bucks on new rotors if they will work better. We get allot of rain around here, would cross-drilled rotors be better?

Thanks for any input

:-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Anthony Fremont wrote: What are your

== Cross drilled rotors are going to wear the pads faster, and can also create additional noise. What was your problem with stock Toyota pads and rotors? Toyota has changed formulatoins several times to improve their ceramic pads for the best overall compromise between quiet operation, long life and stopping ability.

Reply to
Daniel

Use Akebono ProAct ceramic. Order from rockauto.com or from your local parts stores (Kragen, Advance Auto, Checkers, Murrays, Schucks, etc). Also pick up a couple of packs of ~$1 (5 ml) green gel synthetic brake lube from Permatex for the caliper pins caliper contact points.

Raybestos' Raymold line of ~$20 noise-dampening-iron rotors are what I use with Akebono. They are fine - quiet and cost effective. Raybestos QS Ceramics also brake very well and are quiet, but they are dirtier (more and darker dust) and wear faster. So do try the Akebono ProAct ceramics.

Toyota specifies Akebono for the Lexus brand (pad marking "AK xxx-xxx FF"). These are excellent stuff. Quiet, long lasting, and light dust for normal driving. Of course for performance driving EBC Red or Hawk carbon metallic pads are better, but better have ABS with these.

Unfortunately the Toyota branded pads typically are cheaper plain- organics/ceramics from NBK (pad marking "NBK xxx-xxx FF") and who know what brand these days. They fade and glaze much too easily. I would stay away unless they can give you a batch from Akebono for the same dealer price. IMO it's not worth the time putting NBKs in when you can get Akebonos in the aftermarket and know for sure they are Akebonos instead of doing the craps shoot over the dealer counter.

With the excellent Brembo rotors you are limited in the type of brake pads you can use. For instance, it's not recommended to use racing compound pads with cross-drilled or slotted rotors and you should not use these special rotors on the track (according to Tirerack.com!). As far as the Brembo composite ceramic disc? I don't know, I don't own a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, just a plain Camry. ;) Check out the Brembos (~$150-$220) on Tirerack.com. But if Ferrari uses them why can't you use them on the track like Tirerack says you can't?

Well, I guess for now I'll just stick with Akebono ProAct ceramics and Raybestos Raymold ~$20 rotors, Permatex synthetic gel brake lube and Valvoline Syntec or Castrol GT LMA Dot 3/4 brake fluid (~$7/quart, both Valvoline and Castrol are "Low Moisture Activity"). Do let us know what you decide.

Reply to
johngdole