Timing Belt parts

Is it worth getting Toyota parts (timing belt and water pump) when I get my timing belt changed or are aftermarket parts fine. Trying to keep the price down on the timing belt replacement with estimates around $400 for the belt and water pump.

Vehicle is an '89 Camry wagon, 4 cyl., 109,000 miles.

thanks.

pete

Reply to
Pete Giordano

I'd pick Toyota for the water-pump and drive-belt plus any seals and pulleys needed. This way you will not have to worry about having to do it for another 100,000 miles. $400 for parts and labor sounds about right if using Toyota parts.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Hey Pete:

Is that your first timing belt on '89? I have a '91 V6 with just over 60,500 miles and want to put off a timing belt as long as practical.

Regards, de ~ Vince ~

Reply to
Vince

Yep, I bought it used and I'm pretty sure it is the original belt. Haven't had any problems but want to get it changed so as to not push my luck.

pete

Reply to
Pete Giordano

Timing belts probably fail from old age also. 14 years seems like a long time for a timing belt. Does anyone have experience with long-term use of low-mileage belts?

John

Reply to
John Briggs