Best DIY repair manual?

I took my 1996 Toyota T100 in to the local dealership to get some recall work done. While there, I also had them check out why my "check engine" light has been on for a while. It turns out I need new spark plugs, wires, and O2 sensor, plus a bunch of other stuff, totalling to around $1500 worth. Since I don't have that kind of money right now, I decided to wait on the repairs. However, I think maybe I could at least change the spark plugs, wires, and O2 sensor myself, which was about $500 of the price quoted (which seems quite high to me). I'm not very experienced with cars/trucks, but I used to watch my dad as a kid.

Anyway, I thought if I bought a repair manual I'd at least be able to get a good idea of what I might be able to fix myself. I see that there are two different repair manuals available - one from Chilton and one from Haynes. Which one is best? How are they different (besides being from different publishers, of course)?

Thanks, Trevor

Reply to
trevor.holyoak

Trevor,

IMO both Chilton and Haynes are poor choices. I've seen misinformation in every one I've picked up although I haven't specifically seen the ones for the T100. Though pricey, there really is no substitute for the factory manuals

Beware manuals on CD-Rom sold on eBay and other auction sites for cheap. Not only are they often illegal bootleg copies (and I have a problem with anyone who doesn't see anything wrong with giving money to thieves) but are often poor quality repros on top of that.

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

I'm assuming you have a V6, if so the plugs and wires are a relatively easy fix. Get a long extension for the ratchet, as the plugs are recessed. You need to remove a few hoses and air ducts for access. Buy ND or NGK platinum plugs. V6 has a ignition coil for every two cylinders, so you can just replace the three wires leading to the non-coiled bank. My CEL (O2 sensor) has been intermittently lit for the last 150k miles or so, I had the code checked, then ignored it. Gas mileage is still around

18-21 city/highway. Bill W 96 T-100 4WD XCAB 401k miles
Reply to
Bill Wolcott

Toyota offers great service manuals. Well worth the investment.

Reply to
KaiS.

Five hundred eighteen dollars + tax for the basic set of four manuals? I'm sure these are good manuals but really isn't that a bit unreasonable?? However, I might pay $100 for these on a DVD--not only saves space but provides better searching. Better yet, wouldn't you expect Toyota to include this DVD with a new truck purchase? Or perhaps put it online and keep it updated?

Reply to
Phisherman

I've seen this site kicked around a bit:

Has anyone here tried them? Can you download those same $518 worth of books here for $10?

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning

Yikes! Prices have gone up considerably since I last purchased a set several years ago.

Reply to
KaiS.

Search on ebay for 'factory manual' with Tundra.

Reply to
ed_herman

This is not exact it's for a 97 but should be very good for what you need

sqdancerLynn

Thanks, I'll see if I can get it.

- Trevor

sqdancerLynn wrote:

trevor.holyoak

What do you think of the Chilton CD/web site combination?

- Trevor

Mike Harris wrote:

Reply to
trevor.holyoak

I downloaded the FSM for my 2002 Sequoia from there a while back. Took me a long evening, since the manuals are in bitty little pieces, but I managed to get the whole thing. Well worth the $10 and the time.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Thanks Andy, I may want to do that for my 2006 Sienna, my brother's T-100, and my sister's Prius. Good thing I have a cable ISP and plenty of free time.

jim menning

Reply to
jim menning