Clutch type and towing

Hey All,

Got a quick question for everyone. I have a 97 Tacoma 2WD 4cyl and need to tow a 2000lb tent trailer (say like once a month or so on non hilly areas). The clutch that is in the truck right now needs to be replaced. Soooo, do you recommend the stock ASCO or Centerforce Dual Friction or ?

Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
jdsuowner

The stock clutch has worked well for you so far, and a 2000 lb tent trailer is well within the capability of your truck.

Stiffer clutches tend to be harder to mash. If you do a lot of stop and go driving this may get tiresome.

My two cents...

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free

harriswest

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think I will order up a stock Toyota clutch and put it in then.

Next question for ya, anyone have any advice,tips, or links when installing a clutch on these 2WD Tacoma's?

harriswest wrote:

Reply to
jdsuowner

Thisd is probably pretty close - I used it for an 85 2wd pu and a 90 4wd 4 Rnr. Key is several long socket extensions (like 4' worth) and a rented trans jack makes replacement a lot easier.

Reply to
Wolfgang

============= ============= Two things,

First, I agree with Mike........go OEM on the clutch. also imo

Second..... Price shop the clutch job, ask for them to use OEM parts, and see what the going rate is BEFORE you attempt to do the job yourself. Ask about warranties.

I have no qualms with anyone doing their own repairs, or simply saving money by doing their own repairs. But......I've seen to many guys go through the motions of anqst and disgust to not at least offer up the above suggestion.

The job is doable. It's tricky. It takes a bit of finesse. It definately requires a bit of dexterity and a good tool selection is extremely helpfull on one of these clutch jobs. If you noticed the reference in one of the other replies about the 4 foot socket extension.....well....I own one....believe me when I tell you, I purchased it because of Yota's and Nissan standard trannies. Keep this in mind, if you snap off an exhaust bolt....an aceltylene torch makes quick work of fixing the problem. If you don't own a "top quality" pilot bearing removal tool (mine was $80), you need to be handy with a hammer and a chisel. If you "crunch" the pilot bearing going back in, you'll need to get another one. If your working on your back.......add 4 hours to the time it usually takes to get the job done. All this and much more can turn this 3 hour job into a nightmare quickly.....unless you have a shop and the appropriate tools and supplies. Again, the job is doable. My intention is NOT to disway you from doing the job yourself, it is rather to give you what you asked for.....advice.

Any whooo..... my 2 cents worth.

good luck, and let us know.

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech~

Reply to
MarshMonster2624

Oh, yeah? Well, I agree with MarshMonster.

Toyota's service manuals recommend pulling the engine to replace the clutch on the 2WD Tacos. The difficulty is that the transmission cross member is integral with the frame and can't be removed.

You can drop the transmission without pulling the engine but getting to all of the bolts is fiddly and you'll have to support the rear of the engine. Getting everything lined up for reassembly is a lot of fun too. The consensus among those I know who have done this fix is that if they had to do it again they'd either have a shop do it or pull the engine.

Got a Tacoma? Join spam free

a Corolla? Join spam free
Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

Mike Harris Austin, TX ========= =========

be carefull, yer a nice enough feller....... wouldn't want you to go get'n "flamed by association".

~:~ MarshMonster ~sipps his shroom juice~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

What's a "typical" price range for a clutch replacement in a 2WD Taco? I've got a '94 that needs it and I'm just interested in hearing other people's experiences with shop replacements.

I live in Houston, if that makes any difference price wise.

Reply to
Dave