Towing question

I have a 1990 Jimmy fullsized 4x4 with a 350 engine and the 700r4 auto trans. When pulling a car trailer with a car on it, should I put the trans in Drive instead of Overdrive? I just bought this last month, and will be towing with it for the 1st time this coming weekend. The 97 f150 we just sold, we had an overdrive on/off button on the column, and I turned it off for towing purposes. Is putting the shift lever in Drive the proper way to tow with this vehicle? Thanks for any advice, Earl

Reply to
big e lewis

Don't tow in overdrive...drive is the gear selection you should use.

Reply to
Advocate

Put it in drive when towing. I burned up the tranny in my 96 GMC Z71 towing a car on a hauler in overdrive. The newer GM trucks have a tow/haul select button to remedy the overdrive/drive towing problems.

Reply to
chris&kathy

It is not the actually use of OD the burns tranny up, it is the overall effective gear ratio that causes that when loaded. Most 1500 have either 3.42 or 3.73 axle ratios and throw in some oversized rubber and a .7 OD and something is going to cook. THis happens because the converter unlocks in OD and the tranny is running on stall and making heat which kills tranny. When yo tow in drive your RPM is usually high enough that you are off of converter stall and the heat being generated by it. On the other side of the coin, "if" you had like a 4.56 with never stock sized tires, towing in OD would be no issue at all most of the time. A 4.10 is kinda on the border line here with stock tires sizes and anything taller than that should tow in drive with a gas motor. Also do add a aux tranny cooler if you do not already have one. Below is a link for a axle ratio/RPM calculator

The SnoMan

SnoMan

ditto

~:~ marsh ~:~