finding a Power Steering pressure switch

Hey, I'm the new owner of a 1990 4-Runner, I've only had my new luv a short 6 weeks. I got a tune up (and had no problems before then) a couple of weeks after i got it and the next day started losing p.s fluid at an alarming rate. when i took it to the mechanic i was told that i need a p/s pressure switch and that it costs over $200. Am i being ripped off or do they really cost that much? Where can I find one, i've been searching the internet for 2 weeks now, but can't find one anywhere. Is the dealer the only place to get this part?

Please help, i'm a college student, working my way through and don't have the $300+ the mechanic is quoting for the repairs and i'm scared to try another mechanic since i think the one i took it to to get a tune up may have cause the need for the repair in the first place, since the problem only developed after i got a tuneup and although it may be a coincidence somehow i don't think so.

thanks for any help

Reply to
Baja Mami

Probably talking about a p/s by-pass valve and my guess its inside the pump itself, whats the dealer say?

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

I called the dealer and the parts guy there said that's not what it's called. He said that it's the "idle up" valve or the air control valve assembly. it's not as much as the mechanic said and the mechanic will install it even if i get the part. I tried to look it up on the internet and see if it is indeed the same part, but after i couldn't i called back. I told the service guy my concern, and he explained what the part does.. it's the same part. so now i know that i can save at least 120 bucks, now it's just a matter of getting it done.

Reply to
Baja Mami

Yep, it boosts the idle speed when you turn the wheels for added p/s boost. Are you sure its not just loose or has a bad gasket? Get one from a junkyard if the vacuum switch is bad.

Reply to
Roger Brown

OK, I'll check on that, but i have just one small problem. i have no clue as to where the part is. i've looked, can't tell. bought a chilton's manuel, but it's no help, or maybe it is and since i don't know exactly what i'm looking for can't use it properly. i have an idea as to what the part may look like, but no diagram that can tell me where it may be located. HELP! Is it on the steering gear assembly that is connected to two hoses? or is it actually nearer to the pump? and if it's not the psps could it be the pump itself? how would i know if it's just loose, needs a gasket, or needs to actually be replaced?

Reply to
Baja Mami

It's on the pump itself. I changed out the pump on my '93 (the crash bent it up) and I had to move the switch over to the new pump. Don't recall the exact location, but look for something that is not the hoses connected to the pump. All the switch does it raise the engine RPM up when at full lock. I don't think you "have" to have one. Maybe pick up a plug at an auto/hardware store?

Reply to
Eddie