gas pump failure '92 toy 22re

I have a '92 toy pu. w 280k miles. couple years ago, started surging, losing power on corners, and hills.

dealer said could be fuel pump.

replaced pump, everything fine.

same thing this summer.

took pump out,

put new pump in, won't start.

took pump out checked wiring, tested by having wife turn key to start w pump out of tank, pump worked.

put pump back in, didn't start.

any ideas?

jerry

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

Fuel filter? Have you checked to see if you are getting fuel to fuel rail? How about spark at a plug? Don't pull a plug wire to determine this as you can burn out your coil, but use a spark tester. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I don't know if the 22re has a cold start injector, but if you do, loosen it up a bit, turn the truck on, and stick your hand down the mass airflow flapper. This should trigger the pump and you should see fuel gushing out with lots of pressue. That's how mine works with the 3L.

Reply to
Eddie

I have checked spark, it is ok.

loosened gas line from tank, no gas comes out, ergo pump not pumping.

I think will take pump out and put into a small container and see if it will start.

j.