fuel pump failure?

What are the symptoms of (GM electric) fuel pump failure? I assume your car just dies, but can it be ongoing, like sometimes it quits, then the engine starts again?

Gary

Reply to
GARY

If it goes out .. the car will no longer run .. no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Reply to
clevere

Reply to
Bonnevilles R Kewl

Reply to
*Zoe*

Ya'll have good luck then. Both the fuel pumps on my car just up a quit. Once at the dealership, the other when I was getting computer memory.

Reply to
clevere

Mine went out gradually ('87 Bonneville) I have had it replaced twice, and pulled and checked a third time to find the gas line from the pump to motor was kinked in 2 places. Didn't fix the problem, it's still a hard start, taking 3 or 4 attempts before starting and sometimes gives this incredibly loud backfire from the front of the car, once it backfires it starts the next time. ??? Now mechanic says fuel injectors are bad need $$$$$, another mechanic (shade tree) says may be vacuum line problem. Fuel pump seems to need to prime itself again for each start. Who do you believe? Any ideas? This group helped me with the AC problem, maybe you can help with this one, before I spend $950 on new fuel injectors.

TIA Brea

Reply to
Brea