22re block removal

My 85 Celica GTS has the old timing chain through the timing cover problem. Since I have the head off I was going to just rering the pistons by removing the oil pan with the block still in the car (haven't tried to remove the pan so not sure this is possible). Question: How easy is it to separate the block from the trans at this point? If it is just a matter of some bolts then it seems to me it might be easier to pull the block so I can also replace the freeze plugs, main bearings, etc. I've never separated an engine from a manual trans though - should that stop me from doing it?

Don

Reply to
iicetee

IIRC, you can remove the oil pan with the block still in the car.

As far as separating the block from the trans, besides the bolts in the bell housing, you have the usual cables, wire looms, vacuum hoses, motor mounts, etc. Separating the engine from the transmission is not that technically difficult. Before you start yanking things apart, make sure you mark hoses, wire looms, cables, etc. with tape so that you know what goes where when it is tome to put it back together.

You should be able to do main bearings, timing chain, timing cover, etc. with the engine still in the car. I'm not sure about freeze plugs but if you can see them, you should be able to change them. I guess it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other whether it is worth the hassle pulling the engine to work on it or doing some gymnastics and doing all that stuff while it's in the car.

Reply to
Ray O

I have an '85 GTS with a 22RE, paid $300 for the engine, $240 to have it installed. Engine has 162,000 on it; also the car has a new rack & pinion.

Since installing the new engine, things have been breaking left and right. I think I'm done putting money into it...$300 takes it, you need to get it, Western Mass. I like the car, don't want to sell it, but I have an '88 Supra in better condition that also needs attention.

Reply to
hachiroku

Reply to
iicetee