I GOT AN IMPORTANT QUESTION

First its not a toyota but seek help immediately.

I have a 1997 Mazda 626 4 cyl.

I just had the timing belt/ and timing tensioner changed. I paid the man, took the car and was getting some slight pinging. Went pay, the turn the distributer about an inch and things were fine. Came home when for run later that day and the no compression.....no power....spuddering.

Went back to mechanic had compression test done and the results were.....175 on cylinders 1 and 2.....and 25 on 3 and 4. He tells me the head gasket is gone between those two valves low on compression.

My question is would have it jumped the timing....and if so would this cost the low compression in 3 and 4 cylinder? its strange to me the car was fine then just as I have the belt changed this happens.

Please help thanks

Reply to
PCMAN

Quit asking questions and take it back where you had the work done...

Tom - Vista, CA

PCMAN wrote:

Reply to
TOM

BUY A TOYOTA.

Reply to
Biohazard

In contrast to the friendliness and maturity displayed above, I'll try to offer a few things to think about. And I'm not going to call anybody names.

  1. If the timing had shifted so much that the compression was that low in cylinders 3 and 4, the situation would be similar in cylinders 1 and 2. Timing doesn't just shift for some cylinders, it shifts for all when it goes out of adjustment.

  1. A very low compression reading in two adjacent cylinders does indeed suggest a head gasket that has blown between them.

I'm assuming that the car was taken in only for a timing belt change. That being that case, the head would not have had to come off. Were you experiencing overheating before?

I hope this helped. Good luck.

Reply to
chestand

Reply to