I have an important question aboutmy NISSAN

First, I have a 1994 Nissan p/u truck 4x4. Yeah I know this is a maxima website. My speedometer is no longer working and the engine light came on just after. Whats wrong with this? would it be the speedometer cable? if so where would the problem most likely be........in the instrumental cluster or tranny.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Probably a bad speed sensor. It must be a 5 spd, if it was an auto it probably would be shifting well either.

-jim

ps: this is a newsgroup, not a web site :-)

Devils Advocate wrote:

Reply to
Jim

The Maxima's speedo is electronic, but your p.u. may have a cable.

Anyway, it sounds like the computer wants to see a signal from the speedo that it isn't getting. So the light came on.

Fix the speedo problem and reset the computer.

JM

Reply to
JM

Yes it is a speedometer cable...and it is a 5 speed. I was told by the Nissan Dealer that is appears the the speedometer cable is failing. My guess is, its highly unlikely that the cable would fail and I would guess its equally unlikely that the cable would disconnect from the dash/instrumental cluster. My guess also is it would be more likely that the cable would disconnect or fail due to corrosion on the transmission.

My question is, is it difficult to connect the speedometer cable to the gearbox and where does it go? As well, do you think it is the speedometer cable? Someone suggested speed sensor.....I have not heard of this!!!

Reply to
Devils Advocate