1971 VW Bus Turn Signal/Flasher

I have a 1971 Westfalia and recently:

Activate turn Signal (right or left) the Generator Light comes on, my fule guage level drops and no turn signal is activated on any of my lights. My emergency flashers still work perfectly as do my brake and backing lights.

I took apart my turn signal switch and it appears to be okay. no corrosion, no broken wires..

So.. I am looking for my flasher relay and have not been able to find the darned thing. I do notice that I have a long Emergency Flasher switch with tons of wires coming off it.

I guess I am wondering whether I might have the 9 wire flasher switch and whether this switch could be the culprit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Not a 9-term flasher on that year. Yours should have a 3 or 4-term flasher bolted to the bodywork, under the dash. Probably black box, smaller than pack o' cigs.

But.....since the Hazards work, the flasher is OK.

I suspect a fuse with a poor connection/ corroded ends. For a shotgun approach, replace 'em all and clean the holders.

There is a simplified diagram of the flasher wiring, showing how the Hazard switch functions, on my web site:

down to Miscellaneous:3-terminal 12V flasher, simplified wiring diagram showing 4-Way Hazard switch: '72 and later. (The drawing is a bit over-simplified for '71 because of the rear lights, but that doesn't affect what you're after.)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Jim,

Thanks. I just went out for lunch and tried my turn signal and flashers since my gen light was not lit... Guess what? The damned things worked... Go figure. This make me believe that your prognosis on the fuses is right on.. I will clean all that and replace the fuses.

Quick question.. In my fuse holder, there are Red, White, and Pink Fuses? I thought it was either Red or White..

Reply to
Roger

Red faded to Pink? Different mfr?

To be honest, I don't know:-)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Pink fuses? There are no pink fuses. Someone swapped some small cocktail weenies into your fuseholder. The problem has been located.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

My 68 Bus

Fuse colour - Rating Yellow - 5 White - 8 Pink - 16 Red - 16 Blue - 25

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

A cocktail weenie. Oh my god, you have one, too!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Okay... Looked at them closer and the Pink ones are 16's so I am assuming that someone put in different manufacturer. I did as you suggested. Replaced all (pink now = red) and cleaned up my Fuse Holder. Working like Charm.

Ya know three or so hours of looking under the dash not only causes a neck ache..

Thank You very much I now have a working and legal driving machine again.

Reply to
Roger