72 Campermobile Windshield Wipers (what is going on)

I have a 72 transporter and I cannot for the life of me figure out why my wipers don't work. I replaced the switch. Now once that was done I'm still having the same problem. Turn the wipers on low and everytime the wipers return the radio turns off. But this morning was even more strange. Driving down the 101 (N Calif) in a storm wipers just stopped...... Then started all by themselves 20 seconds later. This continued to happen intermittently for the entire dirve. If anyone has had this problem I'd love to hear how you fixed the problem.

Reply to
Hippopotabus

wipers don't work. I replaced the switch. Now once that was done I'm still having the same problem. Turn the wipers on low and everytime the wipers return the radio turns off. But this morning was even more strange. Driving down the 101 (N Calif) in a storm wipers just stopped...... Then started all by themselves 20 seconds later. This continued to happen intermittently for the entire dirve. If anyone has had this

I would first check the fuse for the wipers. Even if it looks good, replace it. And polish the fuse holder contacts. Last, the wipers are fed thru a special contact on the Ignition switch. If that is intermittent, it could cause the problem. (In this case, the headlights should be intermittent too.)

The other possibility is see if there is an intermittent wiper timer/relay plugged in the fuse block. I don't know if that feature was offered as early as '72, but worth looking.

You can download a diagram for your year here:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hey Jim thanks. I check it out. Nice website.

Reply to
Hippopotabus