Baja Body Work Advice?

I'm trying to get some baja body work for my 72 super beetle. Mark V Fiberglass says their cheaper kits (K102 and K102S) won't fit on a super. Which means, I have to buy the K201 for the super beetle. Also, freight costs to ATL will be about 1/4 of the total price. Is this my only alternative? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Jiann-Ming Su

Techniclly, you don't need a baja kit at all. The metal body of a super holds the front end on the car unlike a standard does. So, you could/should leaveas much of your front end on the car (full apron). Kathy Jacobs in Hiara (sp) Georgia has/had a new set of new front fenders that could be had cheap (and some other baja stuff-including a super baja). So that would leave the rear fenders (which you could reverse your metal fronts you just took off, mount them on the rear, and cut them to the shape you want (they will be stronger than any F/G ones you buy). This leaves the engine cover, those can be had for

10 bucks used usually.

So there ya go, about 50 smackers and you have a baja (don't forget a stout strut brace up front). Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

I have a complete super baja kit... a project in storage had the fiberglass in storage....

Our kit uses the stock hood... swap out the fenders and put on the back 3 pieces.

supers are much tougher to baja and have fewer options..

We have a 63 and 72 standard... 7 piece kit and one with a flip front... both are much easier than a super....

Before cutting, consider swapping for a standard bug... baja stuff is addictive.

Timmy

Reply to
MN AirHead

Well, at this point I have no real body work, fenders or hood, to speak of. I don't plan taking it off road. I just need cheap and light weight VW body work. The fiberglass from Mark V seems good, but I'm just not sure I want to be paying a 1/4 of the price for freight.

Reply to
nobody

Well in that case, look around for a used (or unused/used set) A super might be a little harder to shop for, but I've seen them out there. And if you end up ordering a set from a supplier, Mark V is probably the best out there for the money. And IT DOES pay to get the "heavy duty" kits for a few bucks more if available (even for onroad). Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro