Body work question

So, I have decided to buy the '63 Bug with the "junked" certificate, mainly because other than the rear end damage, the car is a clean, one owner Bug that deserves to be restored and not parted out. THe body damage consist of the left rear clip being whacked in. The very tip of the clip, where the bumper mount is, is creased causign the mount itself to crack in half. Other than that the bend in the clip is gradual and there is no wrinkling. Initially I was thinking of cutting the section out and welding a new one in as well as a new rear apron, but I am wondering if it would be possible to pull the section out. Anyone every try to salvage a rear clip? Since the car is all original I would hate to section a piece in. Any ideas? I'll try to post a few pictures when I pick up the car Tuesday. Thanks for the opinions BTW. Seems most of you wouldn't be deterred by a salvage title so it makes me feel a bit better going ahead with it.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

On 21 May 2004 13:08:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Braukuche) wrote: ....many things can be saved. Of sourse you will be dealing with stretching and shrinking. Sectioning is oftem much quicker and easier, and done correctly should be virtually undetectable. The trick is to take it apart where the factory put it together where possible. =-) Post as many detailed hi res pictures somewhere as possible and more specific advise can be offered

..>Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian