Better Gas Mileage

To All:

Several people have written to ask what they can do to go a little farther on a gallon of gasoline. Often times they cite some really dismal figures, such as 14mpg for a bug or 12 for a bus.

Basic rule for stretching your mileage is to drive slower. Alas, that isn't always possible here in southern California, where you're liable to get a ticket if you drive too slowly on the freeway -- and where using surface streets is not an option.

How slow? Near your torque-peak. In my '65 bus that's about 37mph in

4th gear.

Driving economically calls for a bit of thought and a heavy dose of common sense, which is surprisingly rare among owners of air-cooled Volkswagens. For example, it should be obvious that you'll get better mileage if your engine is kept in perfect tune.

Lightening the load is another sure bet for better mileage. I managed to pull more than 300 pounds of spares, tools and camping equipment out of my bus.

Skinny tires give better mileage than fat ones, especially if they're pumped up as hard as rocks. The bus gets a bit skittish when the tire pressure is 50psi but it isn't a problem if I keep the speed down. Make sure your alignment is dead-on, even to opening up your toe-in a tad; right now I'm running with about sixty-thou toe-in vs the usual .120". And make sure your brakes aren't dragging, not even the tiniest bit.

Your driving habits are perhaps the most significant factor in reducing your fuel-burn. Get it into 4th as soon as it will pull it and keep a very light foot on the accelerator. On level ground keep your speed as steady as possible. Any jiggle or bounce with be seen by the accelerator pump as a demand for more fuel.

Is it worth it? I'll let you decide: I got 308 miles out of my last fill-up -- 10 gallons (I usually get 230 ~ 240). The Ghia does a LOT better but you can't haul a sheet of plywood :-) (Personal errands? Use a bicycle. Good exercise :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

OR you could rebuild the tired old engine, get it to burn what goes through it more completely, extract more power for the wheels from the same amount of fuel as before.. and THEN drive slower. Win from both ends.

It is possible to build an engine that is a bit more economical to drive, but most of all what is important, is to rebuild the engine so it again does it's job as it did when it was NEW. No wasted energy in the form of leaks and inefficient burn process.

Of course, this route costs money in the initial investment, and it will take TIME before the build cost is earned back from better mileage.

You would also get more power from a std rebuild, want it or not, and it will be hard to ignore and drive slow, without enjoying it even without noticing. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I never check the mileage on my beetle because I never fill it up and I don't what be upset with it. I only check the mileage on my daily drive car.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Yes, I think the tune up and condition of the engine is very important however the driving is numer one. Where I live I am under no pressure to drive anyone elses speed so I keep the rpms under 3000 on the puma and super and not over 3500 on the bus. The Puma with webers will get about 22mpg, the super about 28 and the bus with duals about the same as the Puma. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik