fuel for better gas mileage

have you heard about useing acetone in your gas for better gas mileage? 2oz per 10 gal.. is it safe??

Reply to
bluemarble

Nope. It isn't, nor will it increase your mileage visibly. Acetone is a powerful solvent for some things, and can destroy elastomers (gaskets, o-rings, etc) which are not designed to tolerate it.

As the Chinese say, it is " Bu shi"

Reply to
<HLS

How about Bi-Tron in your gas tank? I have not tried it yet myself, but my dad swears by it.

woaterss

I have never seen it, personally. The website is all hype and little hard information. Still it could be okay.

Normally you don't need any fuel additive, unless you have water in your gas, or need a little cleaning action on the carb or injectors.

Reply to
<HLS

Do the math.

If there WAS a fuel additive that gave you 10% better mileage, and a bottle cost $5 to treat 21 gallons, you'd only be breaking even with it with gas at $2.40.

Most of the fuel additives that claim to improve mileage wouldn't save you any money, even if they DID do what they claim. Which they don't.

I will say that there is a major exception to your statement, though: one fuel additive that some people need is lead substitute.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

OK Scott, I'm doing the math. I'm adding two gallons of gas for $4.80 as a fuel additive and pocketing the other 20=A2 for my piggy bank. My mileage did go up 10%! And here's a tip. You must add the two gallon "additive fuel" first before filling the tank or there won't be enough room.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Yeah, and you also have to do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself around, knock three times on the ceiling if you want the mileage increase (twice on the pipe if it ain't gonna show), etc.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It is a stupid, costly, pointless idea that could very easily cause extensive and expensive fuel system damage. These kinds of dumb ideas always start popping up like toadstools when the cost of gas rises.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

How about gasoline of the correct octane rating in your gas tank?

Of course he does.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

What do you mean? He has a Chev Tahoe and has noticed a significant increase in his mileage. I have not used it, I have a sedan and am happy with my mileage.

Reply to
woaterss