Problems bleeding brakes

So what am I doing wrong?

I've tried this both the traditional two-man "pump, pump, pump, hold!" method as well as the one-man vacuum pump (mighty mite) method, and I still seem to get a small stream of air bubbles out of all of my bleeder's nipples. Is this acceptable? Is it normal?

The brakes seem to be okay, they stop the car fine, and the pedal is strong and hard (goes down about 1/3 to 1/2 way for a maximum force stop).

Just installed a new master, and replaced one of the wheel cylinders & shoes (passenger rear) due to a bad seal on that slave. New fluid, all bleeding out clean and new.

One other question: The two line fittings into the master cylinder, as well as the stop light switches, should they be tightened down until they are flush with the master cylinder's surface, or just until they feel "tight?"

All advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard Golding

NO, you might have a defective brake master cylinder or bad lines/hoses or cylinders or even improper bleeding procedures. I suspect the master since you get air out of all of the bleeders. What brand is that brake master cylinder? Did you follow proper bleeding procedures? Have your helper pump the pedal a few times and hold it down then crack open the bleeder and observe the fluid coming through a hose that has the other end submerged in a bottle with fluid in it!

Are these new stop light switches? Maybe they are either not tightened down enough or defective letting air into master. I doubt the latter since fluid should be coming out of them when you apply the brakes. They just tighten down snug and might break if you try to get them flush. Are the brake lines tight? They also snug up so they do not leak.

Try bleeding in a day of two of letting the car sit and keep your fingers crossed.

dave

meaning anything from foam to "yea those are air bubbles and have to be removed"

Is this acceptable? Is it normal?

NO,NO Did you start at the right rear and move your way up?

Because of the new MC have you completely replaced all the fliud? How old are the other components in the system? And is this a single or duel circuit system?

Some of the cheaper fluid seems to foam easier then others.

There are alot of different issues to deal with when it comes to brakes and can mean your life. I can't see whats going on but think if you feel something is wrong then look over the whole system again Make sure your not going to be driving 60 when the pedal hits the floor, I running out of frt clips. :o)

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

Inline

Yes, this is normal. When you loosen the bleeder valve, air can be drawn in around the threads and that makes it look like there is still air in the system.

If, after several minutes, the pedal is still hard and doesn't go down lower, you should be good to go.

Just until they are tight and don't leak.

Hairy