Re: piston slap

I've read various things on the web about piston slap. Not related to ACVW. I've read various things like, oil viscosity change might alleviate it, and that cars have been run for many tens of thousands (a 100k) of miles with it.

I'll take your advice John and start accumulating parts and shelf the car and just mechanically restore (strip the pan & POR, new brake system, fuel lines, etc) the car beginning next year. I figure the money I'd spend on a transplant could just as well be spent on parts. Since I really haven't driven the car this summer (due to the electrical issue), I won't miss driving it that much. I consider this route, simply because the engine is orignal to the car. The real kick in the pants of it is the engine other than that slap runs like a champ.

So John, how much do you think the necessary parts would run me (just a ballpark) and are there parts I should look for first? I figure heads can be reground, so I'm thinking pistons and the like. Thanks. - DB

Reply to
DB

John,

FWIW, this is how I came at my diagnosis. Sound more audible (microphone to my pc - listening to your bug through headphones is bliss-even with the slap) from the top of the engine than from below. Detected at start up (consistent with what I read from the GM site) and lessens at warmup. No thunk at acceleration (main bearing), no clunk at decceleration (connecting rod). Inspected rocker arm - seemed ok, per what I read. So only other thing that I can think of is a push rod (and I have to read up on that). - DB

Reply to
DB

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:27:35 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

I recently posted about an engine noise in my 36hp oval. >So I've been stumbling around the web (while I wait for the arrival of my >Wilson rebuild book) and read about piston slap. >So here's the question(s). >If this is piston slap: How serious is it? What can I do about it (short >of a rebuild)? >HAven't found a lot as per remedy (recognizing the most prudent thing would >seem to be a rebuild). >At least it doesn't appear to be a connecting rod, or main bearing.

Here's some of what's been mentioned bout piston slap on ramva:

John Willis

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:23:53 -0100, "DB" scribbled this interesting note:

When it comes to scarce parts you buy what you find. Wolfsburg West very occasionally gets in some 36hp P&C from Germany and there are some NOS P&C floating around in Brazil that occasionally turn up on eBay. eBay is a good source for parts, but you have to check constantly. You'll want all the usual stuff and you'll also want to read all of Bob Hoover's stuff you can find for good instructions and suggestions on how to do a good job rebuilding an acVW engine.

Prices on parts? What can you afford? That is what it boils down to. They will be more than what you want to spend, but if you want a 36hp engine you really have no other choice.

BTW, the useful life of an acVW engine is determined by the alloy from which the case halves are made. It gets weak with age. The older engine cases are becoming weak. Be careful. Install case savers or come other high quality system for the studs.

Most importantly, think for yourself.

John Willis