*unusual?* fuel gauge/sender failure

[*unusual?* fuel gauge/sender failure] v On a 1971 bus, I have a fuel gauge which seems to work fine except between 1/4 and 1/2 full where it jerks back and forth erratically. Is this likely to be the sender, the guage or "could be either." I've read the usual archives and would be able to make more sense out of it if it worked some days but not others or went straight to empty or full when it went wiggy.

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy

Sender is bad.

"Grape Daddy naxs.com>" [*unusual?* fuel gauge/sender failure]

Reply to
Karl

Grape Daddy

Sounds like the sender. Take the sender wire off the gauge and connect an Ohmmeter from chassis to the wire. (Best to use an old fashioned analog meter.) See if the reading gets erratic at 1/4 Full.

See the Fuel Gauge article on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It's corrosion on the sender wire. Once you get the sender out this is uaually easy to fix. Just draw the wire between a finger and a fingernail to scrape the corrosion off the wire so that you get good contact everywhere.

Be careful, as this wire is soft and easily stretched.

-

Jim Adney

Sounds like the gauge is so old, that it has a worn area where it registers between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. You might want to get a new sender.

Try: aircooled.net/

cbperformance.com

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

v Thanks all. new VDO sender arrived in mail today, but of course I'm in no great rush to install it. It looks a little like a grenade with a sticker which says, "Achtunug! Remove z safety pin first"

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy