'83 244 DL Volvo bogs down on acceleration. Runs poorly at full speed

My symptoms have me baffled. First indications of trouble was heavy skipping each time I shifted gears. As engine speed picked up, it smoothed out and drove fine.

One day the following week, the car began running rough, then when stopped at a stop light stalled and would not restart. Managed to nurse it to a start, but it would not pick up speed unless he accelerator was nursed. Floorboarding or anything medium in acceleration caused the engine to bog down. It would then normally idle ok.

The bogging down problem happens even under no load. I can pop the hood and simply accelerate from idle and make it bog down. Sometimes it will accelerate ok from idle, but the first rev or two after popping the accelerator gets a few "pings" always. The engine acts to me as if it is running too lean and is starved for gas. It certainly isn't putting out any black smoke or smell.

The spark seems fine while cranking. When the fuel line oonnector in the engine compartment was cracked open, the fuel flow seemed adequate, but I replaced the pump anyway as a precaution....not the answer.

This engine uses an air mass sensor that I have disconnected. The engine runs about the same except it "hunts" at idle with it disconnected and idles normallyh with it connected...so I don't think that's it.

I have to assume that the fuel flow is triggered off readings from the air mass sensor and/or vacuum input from hoses connected to the fuel injection system.

I have yet to see about the "click" issue on the throttle switch, but I question what that could have to do with this kind of problem.

At this point, I need a clue as to how to isolate this problem. This jewel seems to be run off a computer and some vacuum readings. I need help.

Reply to
larrybum

My first guess would be that it is indeed the air mass meter. Unfortunately for you that unit is quite expensive, and is only used on '83 and '84 model years, so is difficult to find used.

Reply to
Mike F

Sounds almost like mine. I know it may sound strange but for $25.00 I replaced the voltage regulator, it fixed mine. If you have basic skills pull the alt. the vr is held in with two screws, take them out pull the vr out clean the contact in the hole where they just came out of(makes sense when you do it) put the new vr in then the screws reinstall the alt and off you go.

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Ken Burt