Air Mass Meter

My 1998 S70 T5 95,000 kms got the upside down "Y" warning light on recently. Had the code checked and it indicated a problem with the Air Mass Meter... Had the light reset but it came on again a month later. Q: Is installing a used AMM worth it (halfprice)? How often do they have to be changed? Can I reset the light without going to the garage? I read previous posts on this topic and had cleaned the connection prior to the light coming on a 2nd time...

Thanks

Reply to
Peete

I have a persistant problem with my AMM on a '89 240 wagon... periodically, I will start the car, drive away, and find that I have no real acceleration, it just boggs down when I press the gas pedal. I've found that I can fix it by pulling off the road, shutting the engine off, opening the hood, and pulling the connector on the AMM off, then putting it back on (usually a few times, for good measure). When I drive away, the car acts normally, at least for days/weeks/months, until the next time. I've tried cleaning the contacts, but the only thing that really seems to work is to take a small pin and use it to push the little connector tabs in the plug back together gently. If I do this, I can usually count on a few months before it happens again. You might want to give this a try before you pop for a new AMM!.....

m9876c at yahoo dot com