HELP - Air Mass Meter

Hi

I own a Seat Leon 1.9TDI & need to replace the Air Mass Meter, I have ordered one from Ebay for =A336.00.

I am an computer Tech. (hardware) by trade so am pretty good with parts--- can someone please give me some advise on how to replace the AMM & what to look out for.

Reason for the replacement is that the car looses punch once over 70mph and does not have any pick left.=20

Any comments will be appreciated.

Reply to
vgaind

I own a Seat Leon 1.9TDI & need to replace the Air Mass Meter, I have ordered one from Ebay for £36.00.

I am an computer Tech. (hardware) by trade so am pretty good with parts--- can someone please give me some advise on how to replace the AMM & what to look out for.

Reason for the replacement is that the car looses punch once over 70mph and does not have any pick left.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Very common failing on VAG cars- I would consider the AMM to be a service part!

Its clipped / screwed to the outlet pipe at the airfilter casing- the pipe that leads to the turbo. It has a 5 or 6 wire multiplug. Change over is about 10mins.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Just replaced the one on my A3 TDi. Very easy. One host clip (use water-pump pliers), 2 screws, one plug.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I own a Seat Leon 1.9TDI & need to replace the Air Mass Meter, I have ordered one from Ebay for £36.00.

I am an computer Tech. (hardware) by trade so am pretty good with parts--- can someone please give me some advise on how to replace the AMM & what to look out for.

Reason for the replacement is that the car looses punch once over 70mph and does not have any pick left.

Any comments will be appreciated.

It is usually easier to replace just the sensor but they are usually held in by security torx bolts. When you get the new one you will see what I mean.

A word of caution though, you have probably bought a cheap unbranded one (not Bosch) these are often refurbished units and can be crap. I bought one for my Passat and it ran like a pig (kangarooing etc). Got my money back (lukily) and put in a proper Bosch unit which sorted it out.

I would not touch an unbranded one again. By the way, if it is unbranded you could have bought one from EuroCarParts for £28 + vat and had 12 month warranty. Ebay is not always a bargain.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Edwards

- Were you car symptoms same as mine "Reason for the replacement is that the car looses punch once over 70mph and does not have any pick left"

Reply to
UK1491

Pretty much. Just generally a bit flat. The simple test is to disconnect the multiplug connected to it. If the MAF is OK, disconnectiong it will make the car perform very badly. No smoke, maybe not even a warning light!. If the performance doesn't change much with it disconnected, replace the AMM/MAF.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I got a genuine bosch unit, with a housing (so you don't need security torx bits, just a Pozi screwdriver and a pair of pliers for the hose clip) from ECP for about £70.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

-- UPDATAE--

Changed the AMM today with a genuine BOSCH unit - works like a dream, car goes like a bullet-- THANKS ALL> GREAT HELP

Reply to
UK1491

Dead straight line until it hits something? Ouch.

Reply to
PC Paul

"UK1491" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I used to have a bullet like that... ;-)

Reply to
Tunku