Auto-Rx to improve an old 850?

I just did a compression test, and the values weren't too bad - all in the 150s, but I would prefer they be in the 160s - this is a naturally aspirated 850 engine.

Has anyone had any experience with Auto-Rx? The claims on their website suggest that it will help. But I don't know anyone who has used it.

Thanks for your advice, AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

I asked the same thing here not long ago and got zero response. I visited the

website to use the chart tocompare worn bearings and asked the guy what to do after my enginerebuild for my 740 with 200,000 miles. He said do a 500 mile oil changeand use Auto-Rx I, personally, will use it, but I am going to wait a while after my rebuild to let the engine get settled in.

I haven't read any complaints of problems with it, just be sure to change your oil filter as recommended and use GOOD filters. I just ordered 4 Volvo Mann filters on eBay for $25 delivered to my door.

Reply to
jamiebabineaux

Hi Jamie - thanks for the response. I found another Volvo site (brickboard) and several people have used Auto-Rx, although at least one person has called it snake oil.

I'm going to give it a shot. I use genuine Volvo filters, and regular

10W30 oil, so it is going in with the next oil change.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

If you use brand name oil and change it frequently (every 3K miles) then you should never need any additive whatsoever. Any of the fifteen or so additive that are package with the oil are more than sufficient for three thousand miles and adding thick oil really does nothing for lubricity or longevity, let alone starting ease or fuel mileage. The non return valve in Volvo filters does more to prevent premature engine wear than any other alleged cure available. For best results, if the engine is leak free, use synthetic oil, keep the PCV clear any the engine under the valve cover will look like brand new forever. It will star better, run cooler, and last longer.

Bob

Reply to
User