Bilstein Shocks/Struts

Can someone please explain the difference between "Touring Class" and "Heavy Duty" in Bilstein shocks/struts?

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan

Allan, I have a couple sets of HDs and a set of Touring on my 240s. The touring set has a rougher ride than the HDs and the top rear shock mount is mis-sized so the car rattled and thumped quite a bit untill I shimmed the bushing. This complaint I've heard from a few owners of these shocks, the only reason I keep the Touring setup is they do a good job of controling the overload springs on the wagon. If you can swing the $$ go for the HDs, for a bargan shock on a car with stock springs try Boge Turbo Gas. Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 18X,XXX 1985 240 Ti 20X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 10K
Dave Shannon

Another, though not disagreeing, perspective. Boge turbos great, but last time I tried them, had a fit problem which created rattle. Ended up w/ KYB (circumstances dictated). Have heard that quality control may be an issue now that Boges are being made everywhere, not just Germany. Haven't tried Bilstein HD ($$$), though sorry I didn't on both 245s. Recently put touring class on a '92 240 sedan to try them. Very stiff ride at slow speeds feeling every pebble, but nice above 50 and great handling. Even so, Boge turbo (or Sachs) would have been better choice in hindsight. KYBs have also worked for me, though would not choose or recommend over any of above. All cars have IPD sways.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin