Glazed rotor 850

I bought my 1997 Volvo 850 a couple of years ago. The brakes began squealing within a couple of weeks. I took it in for a brake job to the tune of $450, which worked for a couple of days. Now another mechanic says the rotors are glazed, need to be turned, then if I put new pads on, all will be well. Recently, they don't just squeal when the brakes are applied, but often squeal (more softly) just driving down the road. Any ideas on this?

Also, ALL FOUR of my front calipler pins came completely out. What's that about? They would not let me drive it home from the shop where I had it checked out, nothing was holding the brakes together but the clips. Anyone ever heard of something like that?

TIA for your help.

Laurel

Reply to
juniper

1st) the fact that the shop wants to turn the rotors should scare you the thickness from new to replacement 26mm New min thickness 23mm min thickness @ brake pad replacement is 23.8mm 2nd) as for all four caliper pins to come out is hard to believe as the caliper is held in by 2 caliper slides that are bolts for all 4 to to just come out & the fact that you were driving the car without the calipers hitting the wheels are slim & none If it was my car & I was not knowledge in automotive repair I would look for another repair facility you can choose a very qualified independent Volvo repair shop or your local Volvo dealer Glenn ASE Certified Automotive Technician Volvo Master Technician
Reply to
Glenn Klein

This makes absolutely no sense at all, and may as well be written in Sanskrit.

Please, if you want to be helpful, write it in a way that people can understand.

Remember that this is an international group, and is read by many people for whom English is not a first language. Punctuation is free; if you use it we stand a chance of knowing what you say. Otherwise why post at all?

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

I'm sorry, I disagree with you. Glenn is one of the most knowledgeable posters here, and I've learned alot from him. If you don't like what or how he posts, then you don't have to read his replies.

Reply to
Mike F

Surely it's the pads that are glazed. I've never heard of glazed rotors. Whether they need to be turned is a matter of thickness and flatness.

That sounds extremely odd. I'd wonder if something was botched during the brake job. How did the mechanic think it could have happened?

Reply to
L David Matheny

Bit of a twist in the old knickers, eh mate?

Reply to
Robert Dietz

[..]

Ohgruffmutter. Yeah OK, bad day an'all. Sorry Glenn.

I don't normally comment about other people's posting styles (and to be fair, it wasn't a comment about his knowledge), but the above piece of bowdlerisation was outstanding.

I'm still struggling with what it means.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Look, I didn't get this email address for nothing, you know.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

FWIW, I was waiting in the company garage and saw they had just bought a "glaze breaker" that showed it being applied to a brake rotor. The device looked like a cup-type wire brush that fits in a drill but had some sort of abrasive balls on the wires. What that is all about... your guess is as good as mine. I'm not going to ask!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

He thought they weren't tightened to spec. Although it was extremely odd to him, too, and I think that is the only explanation he could think of.

Regardless of Glenn's punctuation, his recommendation of finding a competent tech came through loud and clear. (I hope its okay to respond to several posts in one reply.)

Reply to
juniper

rub your pre-moistened asshole all over the rotors and reattach. Works for me!

Bai

AB

Reply to
Anal Bandit