Used Volvo model recommendations

Looking to buy a used Volvo and seeking recommendations on what model to buy. Will be my first Volvo. Would spend $8-10k. Reliability very important (I am not keen on doing maintenance work :-). What else to look out for? Parts availability?

Thanks.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus

Purchased a '96 850 2.5 20v with 86k miles on the clock - Immaculate and perfect so far (albeit only 1500 miles done it so far) would reccomend it so far (fingers crossed, touch wood and anything else that helps.....)

Reply to
v56k

Recomendation

I have said it before, IMHO You can't beat a 94 940 non turbo with Regina fuel injection. Regina doesn't use the expensive air mass sensor, just a temp sensor in the intake. Crank position sensor will fail sooner or later and leave you stopped, so buy one and carry it in the car. Parking light lenses are on eBay. Don't try to use a cheap belt on the AC Compressor, it will squeal in 1000mi.

As you can see below I have had 3. No engine repairs! No transmission repairs! Everything else is DIY and listed on the web, here or elsewhere. I will drive 94 940s till I can't get any more,.

Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

Most Reliable Used Volvos VOLVO 240 '91 & '92 VOLVO 940 '94 & '95 VOLVO 850 '96 & '97

Least Reliable Used Volvos VOLVO 960 '96-97 VOLVO S90/V90 '98 VOLVO S80 '99-01 VOLVO S70/V70 '98-99 VOLVO S40/V40 '00

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I second this. You can get a mint condition one for about $5-$6K and spend the rest on upgraded swaybars, tires, fixing the inevetable $1000 in aging parts(struts, battery, radiator(10 years is all you typically get out of one) and so on), upgrade the wiring harness, put on fog lamps...

For $8K out the door, you should have a car that is mint condition and is a little sport sedan. That's the smart way to do it, IMO - $6K on a car and then $2K on upgrades to make it run that much better. Save the last $2K in savings for repairs. That should last you 3-4 years at least.

Second option: Same exact thing, but in a non-turbo 850 with manual transmission. Learn stick as a clutch job is maybe $400-$500, while the auto transmission is $1500 to rebuild. A 1994 850 GLTS with stick and all the goodies is a perfect choice as well to modify with a couple of thousand in extras and preventative maintainence. You should have a nearly perfect car by then - not a single thing wrong, broken, or even scuffed/dinged.

Drive it for another decade with minimal repairs.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

i am enjoying the 93 940t...after a 02 s80..... nice to back in a older mdl.....fun tweeking them too......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Amen to that, I picked up a '92 745T from a friend of mine last Monday for $3500, mint condition with 150K on it. I spent the weekend putting TME springs, ipd 25/25mm bars and Bilsteins under it, man what a car, goes like a bat, handles like a slot car and hauls plenty. Dave Shannon daveshan@DIE_SPAMMERScox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1984 245DL 200K 1984 245Ti 190K 1988 240DL 190K 1992 745T 150K '01 Jeep Sahara 15K
Dave Shannon

I'm partial to the 960. We've had ours for only 140K Kms, but still... 11 year old car. Nothing major other then a steering rack, and that might have been caused by my mothers desire to turn the steering wheel when the car isn't rolling.

My father claims to everyone that it is the best Volvo ever made until the modern V70's came out... Yah the 940's are probably a little more "user serviceable" but honestly my dad and I don't like working on cars unless it's for stuff like changing the spark plugs, or doing the belt (not timing)... The hardest job we did was a valve cover gasket on our old Golf :-). The 960 has a straight six, so you know it'll last, I mean it's perfectly balanced, so no inherent vibration to shake the engine and such... It has the latest and greatest electronic management from 1993 (or 1995 if you get the updated engine) and is better on gas on the highways then the

740 was (at least the NA, and 16 Valve DOHC models we had). You also get an A/C system that works properly, ours has lasted 11 years with only one checkup to top off and leak seal the system, and the ECC makes temperature selection something you don't need to adjust while driving (I don't know about you but can never get the right temperature with cold-to-hot knobs/sliders).
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Agree with others that the 940 is a great reliable car. My 10-year old turbo with 110K is doing fine - no major problems. Exhaust, battery, tires, brakes plus routine maintenance only. Find a local shop that specializes in Volvo work and make friends with them. I find that's more economical than the dealer and they go out of their way to fix little problems before they get expensive.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

From my point of view, the most reliable models would be the 740 and the 940. No turbo, 16 valve etc. My brother has a 1988 740, with more than 300.000 miles on the road, and it still runs smootly. The 850 can't live up to that kind of quality. My opinion is that the

940 was the last GENU> snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Marcus) wrote:
Reply to
Magnus

I would recommend a 240 Wagon to anybody. But I wouldn't pay more than $4500 for one.

Reply to
john doe

Depends where you are, a '93 can easily fetch over $8k if it's in really nice shape, I've seen a couple 240 Classic models get $10k in the last year.

Reply to
James Sweet

$4500??

I have several 240 wagons and have been driving them almost exclusively for 20 years. My '89 with 235K miles is my favorite, and I wouldn't sell it for that. If anything happened to our '93, I would pay $8K-9K for another in great condition. It all depends on condition and maintenance. The 740/940 is probably a better value, but the 240 wagon is the classic.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

you can find a nice, used (normal wear & tear) 940 on eBay for <

3k$... got my 93 940t for $1,800...buttt..i hade to pick it up and drive it home from nh to co...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

They made the 940's much more recently, believe it or not, the late 240's are worth more, they're harder to find in nice shape and more desirable for various reasons. Don't get me wrong, the 940 is a good car, but you can't base the price of a late 240 on one.

Reply to
James Sweet

A 740 wagon is ultracheap at the moment and will be going up in two to vife years. Means you can drive a couple of years and then get your own money back.

Very solid Very low maintenance Very small turning circle Very good trailer puller Caries heavy loads Very very very secure and reliable

I've don 750K + Km's on mine with no expensive maintenance (just the regular stuff, Oil, sparks, battery, brakepads)

I'm starting on my second one now (240K Km's at purchase date (next week) and looking new)

El Mecky "James Sweet" schreef in bericht news:EHX%b.75908$4o.100582@attbi_s52...

Reply to
El Mecky